• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '78 242 L33 turbo build

Small update...been frustrated at a lack of progress, and I haven't been able to win the fight against the K Jet running lean on the '78. The frequency valve isn't getting power, and the wiring looks perfect. I got a ton of expert advice here but still haven't been able to get it even close to correct. So I have been spending my free time working at my friends shop where we are doing the swap, unfortunately for me it is a very busy shop. I now know way more about Jeeps than I ever cared to know, and I know to leave if a Ford truck of certain years rolls in haha. Apparently working on Jeeps is very lucrative compared to doing high performance stuff. The guys who stop in for big hp talk and talk but don't spend, the Jeep guys just drop it off and say what they want done. Also frustrating because I hate driving Jeeps, they are awful.

Still collecting parts, got almost all the belt line trim, NOS. I also found some goodies that I'm not showing off until I can get them installed. Arranged for the cracks in the drivers door to be welded, and have all the interior panels in the back of my car trying to find a good upholstery shop to fix the issues with them. My local shop always has the lights on, door locked, with a sign saying "back at 2" but they never are haha.

In the meantime I have been getting the '79 ready for sale, it's done but needs a good bath and polish/wax. I had someone interested but the R brakes and Megasquirt EFI put them off. "I'm a stock kinda guy", direct quote...ok then man, whatever...but have fun with that f###ing K Jet nonsense.

Feeling kinda bummed out I don't have the room to do this at my house, dragging on to long now.

Finally progress!! Feeling better now haha. Car is at the shop, and I hauled a bunch more parts over with it. I had time to work on it there today, and realized I have no idea where to start, I have never done a project this large. After thinking about it for a bit, I decided rebuilding the rear would a good place.

For a reminder, the rear is a Ford 9" that I scored for $200, already cut down and has 240 suspension brackets already welded on. We are going to beef the mounting points up at some point before install. It has a 3.50 ratio and LSD installed, neither of which I want in there. 3.89 ratio, 35 spline axles, and Detroit Truetrac are what I want.

Rear is disassembled now to check it out and order parts.
Parts ordered:
3.89 ring and pinion
Detroit Tru Track
Install kit

Need to order:
Axles, bearings, and seals

Anyone want the gearset and LSD cheap? It looks like it's in excellent condition.

No idea how to get my Brembo Z17 brakes installed on this thing yet, looks like a huge PITA but I want it to happen...

aGG7GCyl.jpg

alpstAnl.jpg

fJtPIspl.jpg

I know I'm doing ok when I get no comments but a ton of views lol. Hope to assemble the rear this week, then have to figure out how to put the Brembo Z17 calipers on it, and order up my axles.

Comment for comment bro

Fair enough, I should comment more on others projects, some really good stuff being done right now by very skilled guys. I have nothing to add to most of them except compliments, but I should do more of that.

The rear is pretty industrial, apparently I can run 44" tires without hurting it haha, the offroad crowd at the shop has been shocked when they saw the car, they want it for their jacked up Jeeps and trucks. The Truetrac says it will be way stronger than the 35 spline axles. So, I'll find what the next weakest link is fairly quickly I'm sure.

The TKO 600? Should be pretty strong and it has some mods, but I have no experience with it yet. It is the strongest Tremec as far as I know. Can't wait to find out haha

Ok, I was wrong there apparently. But since I don't make 600 ft lbs yet I'm not that worried. When I turbo it then we may have a problem, and the XL won't solve it. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. The engine is currently about 450 hp, but I don't know how much torque, the dyno broke during my final run, but its probably not much more than the hp, who knows. I'm sure it's not 600 though. In my experience, higher end parts are always a bit under rated, but who knows..
The end goal is a low pressure turbo system so it will probably be fine. I am more worried about the trailing arms and rear suspension getting twisted up.

Stopped by Eastwood company today, got a quart of Rust encapsulator, a couple cans of Extreme Chassis black, a can of internal frame coating, 50 lbs of 70-100 glass bead, and few other goodies, in the hopes of getting it on the lift Sunday....

I'll have some this week, or else!!! Haha, my shop space has been used for refreshing a B230 for a customer this week, as soon as it's free I'm pulling the B21 from the car. Also I had to do what I could to get the shop owners car project finished before we start mine, but it is my turn now.

Me too! We might get snow tomorrow, it's a bit cold for that! I just found a Honda powered pressure washer that needs a little love to run, once it's going I'll do it as long as the temp is above 32 degrees.

You are braver than I am. The coldest I'm ever willing to run one is ~45 degrees. Anything colder is inside under a comfy blanket time.

Back