View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #25
zandrew
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940T4850T5 View Post
Forcing air through smaller piping raises the temperature of the whole turbo system...that's why bigger pipes are beneficial they don't create more heat and they shed more heats thanks the fact the larger pipes having more area to displace heat.

Yes you can run smaller pipes and get same results....the real difference is cost....smaller pipes cost less so that's why most pay less for them......but those that understand what's happening pay more fore biggest pipes they can get cuz the benefits of the bigger pipes outweighs the small diameter pipe
You have lost your mind. I did an exact test on difference of small intercooler piping and large intercooler piping with IAT and there is absolutely no difference in temp if the piping will support the flow as I already told you. Yes if you are trying to force 40lb min of flow through 1.5" intercooler piping its going to heat it up. However 2.5" has been proven to be more then ample for over 500AWHP and 3" is OVER KILL!!! (hell I know a car that is running close to 700AWHP with 2.5" but I guess he cut cost right?) I did this test back about 8 years ago and I will try to find it for you.

These cars run small compressor with tiny exducer which is what accelerates the air outward from the compressor housing. Since the compressor exducer is so small you have to spin the absolute **** out of them to make boost. The accelration will be reduced significantly when going into an oversized pipe and the acceleration is needed to carry through the intercooler and into intake system. Slowing down the flow will result in loss of spool and performance.

The piping does not wick away heat as you are suggesting. The intercooler does. The point is to get the charged air into the intercooler as quickly as possible. Why is it that aluminum is used anyway for intercooler piping? For the exact same reason it is used in Soda can.

Honestly if we followed your example all I would have to do is run 20 feet 4" intercooler piping and no intercooler since that would have the same surface area right?

Use the smallest intercooler piping that does not choke flow of the compressor. If you don't believe me take a straw blow into it. Then take a radiator hose and do the same. Then think of how fast the piston is moving up and down and you will see why it is important to have proper inlet velocity which also atomizes the fuel better.

The difference between 3" and 2" or 2.5" is that if I run 2" the next fool always wants to be bigger since they think its better. Has nothing to do with cost. Honestly I have $7,000 in my engine alone. Do you really think I would skimp on intercooler piping to save maybe $20 at the most?
zandrew is offline   Reply With Quote