• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

500whp Transmission options?

my 2 cents:

my 700r4 had 250k on it before I put a shift kit, boost valve and corvette servo in it, have put 25+psi from a t04e and a 75 shot on it for a while now and it still shifts perfect. Just took it to the track again this last saturday and its still going strong.

my "built" 60e behind a completely stock 4.8 with twin 52s has been trying to give me 4 neutrals since day 1 and on the gate it probably doesn't make much more power than my redblock

Coming from some one with no real long term experience with one in his car, I don't believe that statement one bit.

No, you?re right. I have experience with more than just one and in lots of other peoples cars. The 60e is not worth messing with.

60/80e can be controlled by a microsquirt, and as such are not big deals. However, there is a fair amount of ass whoopin' for the 4L80 (more than I recall doing for the 400 or the th350, but there were several years of difference between those installs). CD0000000009 is probably more fun, but the short gearing with a turbo car may require additional considerations after the fact (this could likely be said for any of the options though really).

To get a 60e to hold good power for a while will require a number of expensive parts (IMO, but you know, ymmv and all that). While the 80 is going to be a weight and size hit, it's usually not as bad as people think (plus, electronic soft transbrake option).

I dunno, good luck with the choice.

To get a 60e to hold good power for a while will require a number of expensive parts (IMO, but you know, ymmv and all that). While the 80 is going to be a weight and size hit, it's usually not as bad as people think (plus, electronic soft transbrake option).

Not entirely true. It doesn't take much in money to make a 60e hold power for a good amount time. I maybe spent $300 and mine has been holding power for a good year now maybe. The 60e gets pissed on a lot. They're are very capable transmissions but all of you can piss on it but mine is doing great with some tuning and some after market parts from Sonnax.

I like my TKO500 for roll racing, but I don't like it for dig racing. First to second shift is hard to engage at high RPM. However, I really like it for daily driving and freeway pulls. With a 3.73 rear end ratio, the TCET4615 has great gearing imo, but depends on what you like to do with your car.

Any GM trans is going to fall under a ton of scrutiny if it has failures. Esp since GM is famous for making great automatics. If a Chrylser trans fails people wont be surprised, if an Audi trans fails no one will bat an eye because its a damn Audi and **** breaks all the time. But when there's millions of one type of automatic on the road used in every application from sports cars to suv's its going to take a beating. No time to mention how they were used or maintained, just group it in with the narrative when one goes.

The 4L80 is on another level of strength and really is a dedicated truck transmission. You cant compare much to it, even todays 8 and 10 speeds arent that overbuilt. You would have to go to Allison to find something beffier.

I dont think the op's B230 im assuming will be hurting a good 4L60 with a shift kit, billet servo cooler and converter. At 500whp in that car there shouldn't be any issues.

Not entirely true. It doesn't take much in money to make a 60e hold power for a good amount time. I maybe spent $300 and mine has been holding power for a good year now maybe. The 60e gets pissed on a lot. They're are very capable transmissions but all of you can piss on it but mine is doing great with some tuning and some after market parts from Sonnax.

Your car makes what? 300hp?

4L60e comes from th350 lineage. it did not take all that much from the old setup in the gold car to break one that was already fairly well set up ..and perhaps it wouldn't have broken if I'd dropped another $1k in hard parts in it, but... 1k for that, or $400 for a fresh th400 and $100 for a HD 4L80e drum, and I haven't had a single hard parts failure again. Hell I've only had to put two sets of clutches in the thing since 2011 when it went in. I went through 2 iterations of the 350 before I gave up on it, first was built by a local trans shop and smoked the clutches out before 350whp. second one held a wad of power on the dyno but broke going into 2nd gear at the track. Yay. Seems to be fairly consistent with 4L60's as well.. will hold up great on the dyno, but don't last when you get out on the street/track. (insert abuse comments... lemme ask ya this: what the hell is the damn point of building something if you can't enjoy it). And considering the cost to build one is more or less the same as an 80e, I mean why the hell would you even mess with it?

so.. I don't like em. I rebuilt a 700r4 last summer for a buddy, it's just more of the same as well.. It's not just a simple case of "oh well there's a ton of them on the road and the problems are overstated because abuse". It gets lumped into the category now of "I don't want to mess with this bull**** again if I can reasonably avoid it"... I don't feel like that's the case for anything in that lineage. If I'm biased (and I am), its from years of bull**** and bad experiences, and watching other people struggle and have issues with the same sorts of things.

On a slight side note, I would expect something used in a nearly stock application to behave well and last a while. That's not a bragging point. There are millions of AW's floating around in all sorts of vehicles, and they hold up extremely well also in stock applications.

I like my TKO500 for roll racing, but I don't like it for dig racing. First to second shift is hard to engage at high RPM. However, I really like it for daily driving and freeway pulls. With a 3.73 rear end ratio, the TCET4615 has great gearing imo, but depends on what you like to do with your car.

http://libertysgears.com/our-products/tremec/

you need that face-plated tko600 for it to shift...

Back