• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Removing 940 e-fan to install 740 mechanical fan-asking for friend

Before you even go there, realize that when in traffic the electric fan is going to move more air than the mechanical fan ever will. You are going backwards.

Before you even go there, realize that when in traffic the electric fan is going to move more air than the mechanical fan ever will. You are going backwards.

Only when it kicks on.

So another much simpler option would be an alternate way of controlling the temperature at which the electric fan comes on. I would opt for an in-line temp switch like the Saab?s used. But instead of using 30+ year old rusty Parts, just buy one for $15 off eBay and put in whatever coolant temp switch you like, that is the same thread pitch.

This was also on my mind, completely stopped
Even my 240 with tropical fan clutch & 3row nissens tends to get hot but not overheat. Hence bringing up a need for a pusher fan.

This opens up another can of worms.....do i just upgradw the efan to something that moves more air?

This was also on my mind, completely stopped
Even my 240 with tropical fan clutch & 3row nissens tends to get hot but not overheat. Hence bringing up a need for a pusher fan.

This opens up another can of worms.....do i just upgradw the efan to something that moves more air?

No. You’re not going to find another fan that moves more air, especially on a 7/9 budget. Turbo LS guys 500+ HP use Volvo fans and rads all the time. Just command the fan on at earlier temps.

Only when it kicks on.

So another much simpler option would be an alternate way of controlling the temperature at which the electric fan comes on. I would opt for an in-line temp switch like the Saab?s used. But instead of using 30+ year old rusty Parts, just buy one for $15 off eBay and put in whatever coolant temp switch you like, that is the same thread pitch.

When the AC is on the e-fan is always on. That is the way Volvo set it up.

No. You?re not going to find another fan that moves more air, especially on a 7/9 budget. Turbo LS guys 500+ HP use Volvo fans and rads all the time. Just command the fan on at earlier temps.

But they dont though. And if they are they're doing it wromg.

AC is on 24.0/(2+5)/365
Well then according to Roy, your (friends) car shouldn?t be overheating.
But they dont though. And if they are they're doing it wromg.
No, they do. They are extremely powerful.
It goes back to my $14.99 question. What cools more? Mechanical fan w/ pusher? Or stock efan w/pusher?

Stock efan cars don?t have a pusher fan. And at idle, efan. At 2500 rpm, mechanical fan. But efan only cools better when it?s on....

I'm aware that a pusher is not stock on efan 940. And a 940 is not optimal for an LS1 swapped volvo. I don't care what googlefu told you. Your response is not an answer to my question of which moves more air

Also 940 fan is soso at best. Back before you were born Dave Barton did a really detailed write up on efans, so did Mathews volvo site.

But their goals were to get +.0001hp out of their racecars.

Im trying to deal with heat soak in hot weather rush hour traffic.

Tryingbe setup seams to make sense to me.

On my 240 turbo I added a pusher and it helped with the a/c at idle. When Volvo factory intercooled the cars they added a pusher. So I added one when I intercooled my car.

Maybe just try adding a pusher fan since that will directly cool the condenser? That along with a cooler thermostat and lower temp fan switch should bring down the idling in traffic temps a lot easier than all the work to backdate.

It goes back to my $14.99 question. What cools more? Mechanical fan w/ pusher? Or stock efan w/pusher?

The e-fan set up is going to cool better. You can't have your car idling at 2,000 RPM in traffic in order to drive the mechanical fan fast enough to move as much air as the e-fan on high speed. They are a very powerful fan. It isn't just a fuel mileage consideration.

I'm aware that a pusher is not stock on efan 940. And a 940 is not optimal for an LS1 swapped volvo. I don't care what googlefu told you. Your response is not an answer to my question of which moves more air

Also 940 fan is soso at best. Back before you were born Dave Barton did a really detailed write up on efans, so did Mathews volvo site.

But their goals were to get +.0001hp out of their racecars.

Im trying to deal with heat soak in hot weather rush hour traffic.

Tryingbe setup seams to make sense to me.

You don’t know what you’re talking about

If you read his very detailed write up you wouldn’t be here asking random people for advice.

The 940 fan is extremely powerful and has absolutely no problem keeping v8s cool. The later 940T cars had a VERY over sized cooling system. Do the math on the surface area of the core in conjunction with airflow from the fan at multiple different static pressures, then report back.

You’d be hard pressed to find a single efan that moves more air. The thunderbird/Taurus fans are close and some actually use the same motor as the Volvo fans. Dual fan setup is a different story.

Let?s decipher your first post, one more time.

Is there anything to look out for as far as disconnecting the fan & relay? Or do we just unhook the wires pertaining to the efan and leave the relay unit?
It?ll be fine
Dont want to disable the front ac fan or want lh to act up.
There?s no pusher fan on efan 940s. Only the main electric puller.
And to pre answer the "why". Rush hour summer global warming traffic us brutal. It's not even summet and the car runs on the hot side right before boiling, just the way it's designed to be.
Yeah they run warm. Nature of the beast. But considering the boiling point of a 50/50 mixture at 22psi is nearly 300F, you?re nowhere near boiling over.

It doesn't overheat, but I can see that happening with the AC on on a 110degree day in stop n go freeway.
It will run cooler with AC on because the fan will run far more often.

Let?s decipher your first post, one more time.

It?ll be fine

There?s no pusher fan on efan 940s. Only the main electric puller.

Yeah they run warm. Nature of the beast. But considering the boiling point of a 50/50 mixture at 22psi is nearly 300F, you?re nowhere near boiling over.

It will run cooler with AC on because the fan will run far more often.

I think you learned more in this thread than I did.

What did you do as far as wiring goes? Did you leave the fan relay?

Nothing. Just unplugged the fan wiring from the relay.

My point in switching to a mechanical fan was not overall cooling (the engine will never overheat in this climate), but constant airflow through the engine bay to lower the temperature specially around the manifold and turbo. Which it does perfectly.

Last edited:
So while talking about 7/9 fans, I drove my MS car around with a 7/9 fan and a 82C thermostat and the coolant temp never made it over 190 with it being 95deg out today. about 10-15 miles of stop and go traffic at the lights. The only time the temp went over 200 was when I turned off the car for 10min to reset an MS setting. I can always look at my datalogs from last summer I drove it to and from work but I am willing to bet it never made it over 200deg. So I will vote for adding another way to turn the fan on besides the ECU ($15 thermostat from parts store) and then adding a pusher fan will be more than enough for what the OP wants/needs.

Oh and this car has to pull air through a 4" thick Intercooler . . .

Back