• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 What are some important things NLA on volvo 240s?

VolvoLatAm

What are some important parts on 240s that are no longer available/not really interchangeable?

So far I have in my list:
steering racks
upper steering column u joints
the 2 rear brake reduction valves
metal clutch cables for m46
distributors unless you get a new 123 ignition

what am I missing?

All the parts in hessam69 list are available here in the US. Parts I've tried to get in vain are:
Wagon tailgate hinge
Rust repair parts like a door post repair piece. Or a windshield cowl repair piece.

All the parts in hessam69 list are available here in the US. Parts I've tried to get in vain are:
Wagon tailgate hinge
Rust repair parts like a door post repair piece. Or a windshield cowl repair piece.

Do you still need a wagon tailgate hinge? I know I've got one in decent shape, some pitting/scratches. P/N 1315598, looks like a right hinge for an 84/85 wagon

Thanks for the offer. However, my wagon being a 93 uses the black hinges. Before they were gone I was able to buy a right side hinge and the left side was replaced when I fixed the wiring harness issues.

Thanks for the offer. However, my wagon being a 93 uses the black hinges. Before they were gone I was able to buy a right side hinge and the left side was replaced when I fixed the wiring harness issues.

**EDIT** the librarian beat me by a minute. **/EDIT**

They should still be available.

Tasca, GCP.se, dealer, and even VP auto parts all showing these in stock.

I found out the other day, with help from the forum, that '93 240 AC suction lines are NLA. The p/n has been superseded to a different design and isn't a direct bolt on.

242 window channel, I haven’t been able to find that black plastic twist lock piece that connects the center console to the center console panels at the bottom and I believe the trunk mercury switches are long gone

242 window channel, I haven?t been able to find that black plastic twist lock piece that connects the center console to the center console panels at the bottom and I believe the trunk mercury switches are long gone

I wish there was a plug and play alternative for the trunk mercury switch light

Last edited:
I should have grabbed a steering rack form one of the last few 240's that went through the PnP yards here. They're getting few and far between.

Steering shaft speshl Volvo break-away safety U-joints are 'available' ?

The craptermarket crack & break in ~6 months give or take :omg:..
...got one car that was otherwise dealer serviced & a nice 1-owner car from the auction like that, but I think the break happened at parking lot speeds at least? :omg: :lol:

I can sure imagine the PO being like 'ok, I'm done with this thing now!' after it was on the dealer invoice (a reputable dealer, they must not have known that what they were getting was doodoo in the blue box).

& not bad, 286K miles, 30 years, 1 car?

I'm sure he woulda kept it/kept taking it to the dealer if he coulda?
The weirdest stuff that never works on the average 240 worked on that one: seat heaters, all tailgate accessories (wiper, lock, defrost), rebuilt with NOS OEM foam driver seat, R12 A/C (tho a little marginal, but what do you expect?), all dome light switches, all greased door hinges etc...
...dedication!
Those guys at that rare locally owned dealer are family business/million years old & know the cars & customers that keep their cars forever, though...they're not the average big city corporate hustling smooth fast talking yuppie eurotrash peddlers...

The OEM, when last available were $$$. If you pressure washed them or drove around in a drippy/salt climate w/o belly pan perfectly sealing the engine bay & didn't flush & heat some extreme pressure grease into them, you will probably wish you had?

I guess you can use some alternates 'can be made to fit' & aren't known to be deadly for the V8 guys w/tight clearances?
JohnMC's build had a post about those?

Last edited:
Back