• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Unable to rev past 6000rpm in 3rd, valve float or turbine restriction?

80% DC on 1700's DC should be impossible if your fuel pressure is 3 bar relative to MAP.
A HY35 doesn't flow that much air. (you should be at +600hp at this fuel flow)
Something is off.

Are you equipped to log fuel pressure? I am pretty sure something is going on with your fuel supply.

Is your fuel pressure regulator correctly connected to your intake pressure/vac hose?

injectors.png

Last edited:
Dirty Rick: your timing map looks more advanced than mine at higher boost. Is that a dyno tuned map?

No and it runs on gas even. Stock turbo pistons and thick head gasket.
If you have corn squeezin's in the tank you can probably run more.
Someone else originally setup the spark table with 2wice as much retard and it cracked the turbo and the exhaust manifold.
With E85 you should not need to pull more timing than gas.
You have seen what I am running, which is the (safe?) recommended 1? per 2# boost

Tape a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and make sure it's not dropping under load. Fuel pressure should raise with boost.
If not, your injectors are getting smaller with boost. You need to maintain the same differential pressure or injector flow rates will change.

Degree your cam! DO NOT guess, or trust the marks, or out trick yourself playing with it. If you have a turbo cam, install it straight up according to the card. This Elgin 262 cam has a couple of degrees advance ground into it. I'll get you cranking compression numbers to compare if you like. But that is no substitute for actually degreeing the cam. Once you have it zero'd out then you can mess with it, you have to have a base line and you may be way off. This one had worn pulley and worn belt on top of the guesswork someone used when they set it up originally.

I spent a lot of time limiting boost to 20# with a GT3071R .60ar RC750's and a 255 pump with the stock intank.

It did this with an AW71 this last time I drove it!

bushing.jpg

Last edited:
The turbine housing wouldn't make the car stop or not rev...it would limit the power being made, but not make it not rev.

I think its a trigger pickup issue, some sort of protection set in MS, or (like dirtyrick was saying) you've got some fuel system issues.

also, the 9 cm^2 housing comes out to roughly .79 compared to a garrett t3 backhousing

The turbine housing wouldn't make the car stop or not rev...it would limit the power being made, but not make it not rev.

I think its a trigger pickup issue, some sort of protection set in MS, or (like dirtyrick was saying) you've got some fuel system issues.

Using stock plumbing may be an issue as the higher flow volume needed for corn may be holding it back. This is an important reason to check the pressure at the rail under load.

NOTE: I am still looking for a nice 90? adapter to connect to the rail, my rigged setup is prone to leak. I don't understand why they oriented that test fitting pointing down!!??
I did not notice if TLAO is still using the stock rail and regulator.
The tapered seat fitting at the inlet to the rail has a pretty small hole in it!

Last edited:
Using stock plumbing may be an issue as the higher flow volume needed for corn may be holding it back. This is an important reason to check the pressure at the rail under load.

NOTE: I am still looking for a nice 90? adapter to connect to the rail, my rigged setup is prone to leak. I don't understand why they oriented that test fitting pointing down!!??
I did not notice if TLAO is still using the stock rail and regulator.
The tapered seat fitting at the inlet to the rail has a pretty small hole in it!

I am using all new -8 plumbing from the tank to the inline 350il to the stock filter (necks down to -6 coming out of the stock filter, this is not a restriction as a friend is pushing 642whp on a stock volvo filter with -6 in and out of it) and then -8 to the rail/fpr. the rail is -6 threaded aftermarket unit nathan used to make with his manifolds. Not a stock fuel system part in the system besides the stock cover on the gas tank and the stock -5 return line going back to the tank.

I am working on getting a GoPro Mounted underhood so I can monitor the fuel pressure. I am running a DWR1000 FPR.

Either way I am relooking at my fuel system setup to see what I can tweak to see what is going on. Thanks for all of the advice and guidance. I will see what I can dig up.

Last edited:
I must say I have no experience with this kind of issues but a similar was discussed on a swedish board recently. One guy suggested it could be wastegate flow redirected into exhaust pipe too close to turbine outlet. When they moved the connection further away from turbine it was improved.

In swedish:
http://forum.savarturbo.se/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=97419

Good thing to note, but I am running my wastegate as an external vent.

I have my gr3582r turbine housing on hand and I am seeing about having the parts swapped around at my local turbo builder tomorrow (I have two chras here one with a bad turbine wheel and good compressor and another with a bad compressor and good turbine).

I am also working with DW looking at my fuel system flow and issues.

Back