• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

77 245 Windshield

MasterPratt

About to be moving across country and I am in the process of shipping the good old Volvo from AK to VA. Problem is the shipping company wont accept windshields with cracks on the driver side and unfortunately most vehicles in central AK have numerous cracks on their windshields. I called the local shops and no one has a 77 windshield. I was reading through the forum and from my understanding I could get anywhere from a 75-93 windshield to fit. Is this true with the 245s as well?

I'm pretty sure the windshield glass is the same from the mid 60's 140 series thru the last 240 year of 1993.
The last 3 years of the 240 you may want to avoid because the windshield was anchored in place differently and any replacement glass is more expensive......something about a rubber seal attached to the glass and special clips of some sort.....?????. I don't really know about these last models.
Anyway, if you can find glass for models 67 thru 1993 in the classic "brick" body style, it should work.

Hope this helps
Steve

It was the early glass that used plastic clips to locate and hold the glass with butyl as the sealant. Today the glass is installed with rubber gaskets and urethane. The clips held the trim on and you are going to lose the bright metal surround as a result but the gasket makes far less wind noise. Professional installers are only going to install the glass with the urethane as it is a safety requirement.

If the bright trim is a concern you are going to have to DIY. I have a bag of the plastic clips if you want to do that. (free)

The gasket comes in several widths and you want to make sure that you get one wide enough to cover the paint damage from the original trim.

It was the early glass that used plastic clips to locate and hold the <s>glass</s> trim with butyl as the sealant. Today the glass is installed with rubber gaskets and urethane. The clips held the trim on and you are going to lose the bright metal surround as a result but the gasket makes far less wind noise. Professional installers are only going to install the glass with the urethane as it is a safety requirement.

If the bright trim is a concern you are going to have to DIY. I have a bag of the plastic clips if you want to do that. (free)

The gasket comes in several widths and you want to make sure that you get one wide enough to cover the paint damage from the original trim.

:nono:

77 was still an 8 piece chromed steel 140 style windshield surround.

Last edited:
You might have to install a new antenna for the radio. On my 1977 244 it's built into the windshield like on the rear window of the 940 wagons. Probably not a huge deal but something to be aware of

From '70 to ' 90 the glass is the same. Trim changes through years, stainless 8-piece between 70-78. Aluminium from 79-85. Bulky rubber 86-90.

On 67-69 window opening is slightly bigger, but you can mount later window there.

And then that aerodynamic flush mounted 91-93 windscreen. Can easily be adopted to earlier cars.

Number of doors doesn't matter. Only exception: Bertone

Back