• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

coolant temp gauge with ls swap

turbotankshane

I searched but didn't find much in the way of definitive answers.

1990 volvo 240, has a 4.8/4l60e combo, everything works but the coolant temp gauge. I had thought I could just use a stock volvo sender but it seems the thread pitch is off, I found one thread saying that I could use a jeep sender but its a two wire sensor and I believe the original sender for the gauge is a one wire sender.

I know I'm supposed to just pull the spare cooling port plug from the passenger head, but from what I can see it is a m12x1.5 thread and the volvo sender is m14x1.5.

Can someone confirm or deny my findings?

I'd have gotten one of those if I knew they existed. /\ /\ /\

What I did was get one of those radiator hose sender adapters and drilled and retapped it to fit the Volvo sender.

You can kind of see it here. I didn't bother to find properly fitting hoses with the right bends and lengths and diameters, I used silicone elbows and aluminum pipe to make up the cooling system connections, so I would have needed something there anyhow.

IMG_20190605_182824-1152x648_zpskcsv1eqc.jpg

I usually just drill/tap them right into the water pump by the outlet
The F-body one is easier as it has a nice flat spot on the top that works.
For the truck pump, put it close to the outlet neck or it'll hit internally with the length of the Volvo sensor

80463-my-ls1-t56-swap-into-68-chevy-c-10-stepside-normal_steamline02.jpg

Thanks guys, probably gonna use the volvo sensor and an adapter, i can get both for about $19 through the local parts store.

The temp gauge sender threads are 5/8x18 UNF. So locate an adapter to fit LS threads. Such as male 1/2 inch NPT to Female 5/8 inch-18 thread. Plug in the proper LS thread size for adapter.

Last edited:
The temp gauge sender threads are 5/8x18 UNF. So locate an adapter to fit LS threads. Such as male 1/2 inch NPT to Female 5/8 inch-18 thread. Plug in the proper LS thread size for adapter.

Which is why I asked what was used.
I wasn't able to find something to adapt it to the m12x1.5 for the head.
A certain vendor sells a modified sender as well

This isn't ****ing rocking science. Find a vdo one wire temp sender that comes close to matching the ohm range of the stock sender with the same thread pitch and stick it in there. If you aren't happy where the needle sits on the gauge stick a low value resistor in line or something of that. Spending $60 for a sender that is 1/3 the actual cost is just plain stupid.

This isn't ****ing rocking science. Find a vdo one wire temp sender that comes close to matching the ohm range of the stock sender with the same thread pitch and stick it in there. If you aren't happy where the needle sits on the gauge stick a low value resistor in line or something of that. Spending $60 for a sender that is 1/3 the actual cost is just plain stupid.

Well considering it requires 0 modification to install and it is a plug in solution it isn't a bad deal.

Last edited:

Considering your entitled smarmy attitude and the fact that it took you this long, maybe you should have just ponied up for that adapter, ehh Aaron?

Considering your entitled smarmy attitude and the fact that it took you this long, maybe you should have just ponied up for that adapter, ehh Aaron?

5 years ago when I did my swap and STS wasn't offering these and it took me 5 minutes to screw a vdo sensor into the passenger port and add a resister in wasn't the hardest thing in the world to do since these are sold out. It's a super easy alternative that's a 3rd the cost. Just making a clear alternative.

5 years ago when I did my swap and STS wasn't offering these and it took me 5 minutes to screw a vdo sensor into the passenger port and add a resister in wasn't the hardest thing in the world to do since these are sold out. It's a super easy alternative that's a 3rd the cost. Just making a clear alternative.

Well then why don't you provide a partnumber or link instead of talking ****. Wanna help right? There's your chance

the sender is brass, you can do it with a flat file, drill, and the correct size die. Chuck up the sender in the drill, and turn it down on the file until it's the right size. Then run the die down it, bam done. Takes 5 mins because it's soft metal. For bonus points I bought the correct size copper washers on ebay to seal it to the head.

VDO 323-092 300F/150C M12x1.5 Spade Link

I used a 10ohm 1/4watt resister inline with the sensor wire to gauge to get the needle to be slightly above middle where the 5.3 runs almost light stock where a red block would sit when cruising.

Doesn't the LH 2.2 coolant temp sensor use the same resistance range as the gauge sender. This sensor already uses M12 threads.

Back