• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Max front spring rate with RSI Saab inserts

MikeSr.

What, me worry?
300+ Club
I have front coilovers with shortened and rethreaded tubes and 8" 250 lb front springs. I have an aluminum LS v8 which is actually lighter than a red block, but a T56 that is huge and heavy, putting more weight to the rear.
MikeJr. Had the same setup in his 242 Group A replica car ( now sold) and it handles like it was on rails.Rears also 250 with Kaphlenke adjustable spring seats.
28 mm dropped front V8 sway bar and 25 rear.
I have some 19 and 21mm bars for the rear if 25 is too stiff.
I may want to hang another 50-75lbs on the front.
So I am considering going up to 350-375 fronts.
Can the RSI inserts handle it without recalibration?
I plan to weigh the car on all 4 corners, set a little negative camber. The car is going to be low.
Any real world experience with running 350-375 lbs with these inserts?

I think the only way to know this is to know what the valving is like on those inserts? Do you know who made them?

Saab inserts are valved pretty light, but on the bright side if they're billies you can have then revalved.

Yep they poooftie-boy soft valving..
very similar with the ironic named "HDs"..
But with less travel and that is a problem..Less traval at same valving meas you still have to match spring and damper--and as soft as they are that means more or less what stock front spring are..But with short travel you clang out more..
Short travel means you must go stiffer spring which means you must have firmer valving..

I have front coilovers with shortened and rethreaded tubes and 8" 250 lb front springs. I have an aluminum LS v8 which is actually lighter than a red block, but a T56 that is huge and heavy, putting more weight to the rear.
MikeJr. Had the same setup in his 242 Group A replica car ( now sold) and it handles like it was on rails.Rears also 250 with Kaphlenke adjustable spring seats.
28 mm dropped front V8 sway bar and 25 rear.
I have some 19 and 21mm bars for the rear if 25 is too stiff.
I may want to hang another 50-75lbs on the front.
So I am considering going up to 350-375 fronts.
Can the RSI inserts handle it without recalibration?
I plan to weigh the car on all 4 corners, set a little negative camber. The car is going to be low.
Any real world experience with running 350-375 lbs with these inserts?

The Saab bilstiens and 400 lb springs feel like absolute dogsh1t with a V8 up front

Speaking of RSI short bilsteins, does anyone know the part number, or a good place to get replacements?
They were just stock off the shelf Saab Bilstein HD's unless the customer wanted to pay for custom revalving.

Ideal or not, they do okay with 250-350lb springs. Ride and handling is very subjective, so it may be great for one person and horrible to the next.

I limp my car around on them with 450lb springs. It could use revalving to be great, but it is okay and safe to drive spiritedly.

They were just stock off the shelf Saab Bilstein HD's unless the customer wanted to pay for custom revalving.

Ideal or not, they do okay with 250-350lb springs

Do you remember offhand how much they shortened the strut housings?

I use 300 lb front springs and it feels decent if not a little stiff. But like you say, it's very subjective.

Back