• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 swap parts questions - warning Polack inquiring

Jack

junkman
please forgive the obvious questions but I have way over complicated this and need some helpz

T5 I have for my 245 b230 block

looks like it is
1352-169 Ford 1986 1/2 Mustang/Capri 5.30 V8 WC V 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68

2DA5E7C9-79B0-4440-9CB9-03418D5CB5CB_zpsdpsi9rhk.jpg

IMG_3099_zpsamcbpewc.jpg

The speedo cable gear housing is missing. The gear inside is YELLOW. I have 373 rear end
so what gear housing and gear do I need? links please
This is for a cable driven speedo

IMG_3098_zpsa3wdmlcq.jpg

recommendations for bushing that goes here? brass or nylon? links please
FF1EB8F7-3226-4FBE-869F-24FA6D668CA1_zpsuqsnnjp3.jpg

bell housing adapter
2877F628-FB4F-4843-BE7F-3ACA3177A54A_zps1m6zhbqz.jpg

I assume the notch goes here ? Should I use thread lock ? and what torque spec?
also I assume the 1/2 thread thats left from machining is ok to cut off
31B16E2B-221E-4233-946B-C9C6958D93F8_zpstzfhgf6j.jpg

is there a gasket that goes between shifter and housing or just use rtv?
(pro 5.0 shifter was purchased separately used)
IMG_3095_zpsg5ev23su.jpg

Last edited:
looks like I found the anwser to one of my questions. I dont need a housing because the cable comes with it
still need to know what gear.
692cb4fbae9b67efd321d49c66eff5806b82abe8.jpg

Gary, did the place in sac have the cable end for the t5 or did you have to buy it. I went last Friday but fkrs only open m-th :poop:

I used the red 21 tooth gear - speedo still out, but more or less the way it was before. RTV is what is spec'ed for the shifter. I used a nylon bushing. No issues.

is there a gasket that goes between shifter and housing or just use rtv?

You can use either, but if you use RTV make sure it is a very thin coat on the outer half of the mating surface only, you don't want anything hanging inside the case. As an extra precaution you can use the special purpose transmission RTV (very thick stuff).

Last edited:
I used RTV for the shifter, no issues. also used the nylon cup, again, no issues.
I don't recall what gears are in mine off-hand, but I was able to get it within about 2mph with stock spec gears.

If you have a stock speedo cable for the car, and a length, the place in west sac can easily cut it and put the end on. They had it in stock when I went in. Sorry you found out they are closed friday's, probably shoulda mentioned it.

You can also use an anaerobic sealant like Permatex 51813 for the shifter.

For the speedo cable you can get a mustang cable and cut and adapt your existing cable. The inner square drive part of the speedo cable is the same between the two you just need to attach the Volvo speedo attachment end to the mustang cable. 1/4" hose works well to splice the two cable casings together.

Brass bushing will transmit a bit more high frequency vibration to the shifter, but has superior feel.
RTV is the correct choice to seal it.
Looks like you got the speedo thing sorted.

ahh
i get it meow

what shift boot are you guys using with the T5 ?

trans mount?- stock or poluirathanamininemone ?

I'm going adapt stock cross member

like this one
P7020004.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on rubber now, trying to figure out some NVH, have a poly to swap in at some point. I also ran the SN95 crossmember, STUPID easy to fit in there. I grabbed a mr. gasket boot, kinda works sort of, not the best solution, but it's covered with a cheapo leather boot that makes it better.

Stock rubber boot, Volvo leather cover. I first had a cheap/quick/dirty trans mount (a piece of angle iron with 4 holes drilled in it, and the M47 bracket bolted to that) with a Volvo motor mount, it was a bit bouncy and wiggly at times. Then I got a super slick Yoshifab crossmember and I'm using it with poly.

Back