• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Would like your input --- no haters please

nel621

I have a project thread here https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=279856

It is way past time that I get the vinyl top put on the car. The top has been made and just waiting for me to bring the car in. For those who don't know the car is an 79 262c, silver with black vinyl top. The C panel is where the crown emblem is mounted. From the factory the C panel is drilled, then 2 small plastic "plugs" inserted into the holes. The vinyl top is then applied and 2 small holes are poked into it to accept the pins from the emblem. The drilled holes, they way the factory did then are prone to rust. So the question is would you drill the holes again but this time do a better job of protecting the metal ? I can drill, use POR15 inside and out and dab some silicone on the plastic plugs. Or not drill, and cut the pins off of the emblem and attach the emblem with 3M VHB tape?

I know many of you are not a fan of the 262c coupes so try to control yourselves.:)

My vote is strongly for NOT drilling holes in the body if at all possible. As you mentioned some super strong 3m adhesive would suffice.

Why aren't the holes already there? Since you used Photosuckit I can't see any pics, they are blurred out and have a huge logo across them.

If you don't have holes, the 3M tape will hold them on, no problem, I have attached spoilers with that stuff with no problems.

Can you do a trial run with a scrap panel, vinyl, tape, and a scrap pin-less emblem? If it holds well, I'd say skip the rust prone holes and just spend your time perfectly aligning the new emblems.

My vote is no to the vinyl top altogether.

It's a fashion statement that's pass? and rather tacky. It's almost as bad as those fake convertible tops that Ford and Buick did back in the 90's and 00's.

Plus, if it isn't maintained, it traps water causing other issues.

Why aren't the holes already there? Since you used Photosuckit I can't see any pics, they are blurred out and have a huge logo across them.

If you don't have holes, the 3M tape will hold them on, no problem, I have attached spoilers with that stuff with no problems.

The holes are not there because I had to weld in new patch panels. The trunk emblems are held on with on with 3M and the fender emblems have a small piece of tape behind them for extra security.

My vote is no to the vinyl top altogether.

It's a fashion statement that's pass? and rather tacky. It's almost as bad as those fake convertible tops that Ford and Buick did back in the 90's and 00's.

Plus, if it isn't maintained, it traps water causing other issues.

Top has already been made. I also want the car to be as close to OE as possible. It is a 79 model. :nod:

Yes they can make giant holes. It’s sad but anyplace where Bertone touched the body it made a target for rust.

Back