• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

INA bearing F-94010

shoestring

This is the countershaft front bearing out of an M47. I can find bearings that are dimensionally the same, except for the outer snap ring retaining groove. I also cannot find this bearing nor a cross reference. It's discontinued from Volvo. Anyone have any ideas, or maybe some professional-level documentation that might help me get a few of these?

Not that difficult for someone with a serious lathe and some patience? I've machined bearing races before and the material was easy to machine (id enlarged to have set up bearings for the rear axle).

I guess you googled this bearing? geomotion.nl claims to have a FAG bearing replacement. Although you will probably have to have the groove machined as mentioned by JW240.

Yeah, I have an SKF RNU304 which is correct, except for the snap ring groove. I'll have to get a couple more of these and have someone cut grooves.

Any takers?

Are there other bearings in the trans with the snap ring groove that are discontinued? I eventually want to try refurbishing one of the M47s I have. I'd probably get one from you.

The only other one is the input shaft bearing, Volvo PN 1377098. It's still available as a classic part, and I have not been able to find a direct cross to any other manufacturer (SKF, Timken, etc), so I buy mine from them. The little caged mainshaft front bearing is also not available, but I have yet to find one that I felt I HAD to change.

EDIT: The hearing on the makeshift at the rear of the main case also takes an external snap ring, but it's readily available through multiple sources.

Last edited:
This will really be a shame if we can't rebuild the gearboxes. I don't know if other people know but back in the day. The volvo gearbox was one of the better shifting and longer lasting gearboxes of it's time. Especially if you compare them to the British gearboxes. I've had Triumphs and MG. Their gearboxes were never as nice. The Porsche and VW ones I've had were also nice but required even more specialty tools to work on.

Anyway, just an old guy whining. :lol:

Last edited:
I don't know if you're whining. As floppy as the shifter is, I can't say I've ever missed a shift with one. Freshened up, for the right power level, they're a good gearbox.

Back