• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

using an eaton M90 (supercharged 2007 bump)

Lord Tentacle

Anime Lord
GM used them extensivly with the 3.8L v6's
so it comes to reason that one might be able to work resonably well with the redblock or even with the whiteblock motors

the m90 is rated to a max of 12,000rpm, knowing i'm going for a happy 7k motor
that gives me a pully ratio of up to 1.7-1.8

i've found some crappy but usefull maps here
http://www.capa.com.au/eaton_m90data.htm

considering it can supply over 550cfm then it would appear to supply more than enough for killing the stock rods

the question comes on how to pick a ratio for it, my goal is to limit it to its rather dam efficient 5psi opperation
is there any good way to guess from the maps what sort of ratio to start with?

The 12,000rpm speed is usually attained with it set up to about 12-14psi, as running one to one rpm's woudn't give much boost.

the question comes on how to pick a ratio for it, my goal is to limit it to its rather dam efficient 5psi opperation
is there any good way to guess from the maps what sort of ratio to start with?

Eaton has an online calculator that lets you play with ratios & stuff, and should give you an idea of the boost you'll getting out of it. It's not going to be dead-nuts accurate, but it'll be a decent starting point.

Would not a reasonable rule-of-thumb be to work-out what RPM GM were running it at on the 3.8L engine, and figure it needs to slow-down by approximately 3.8/2.3 on a 2.3L engine? I think they were only using about 5-6psi, weren't they?

if your going to the trouble of doing this wouldn't you just set the eaton up to hit max it's RPM at the Max RPM your going to run the engine at, then just use MS to tune for what ever boost you end up running, i mean if your gonna do it might as well go all the way.

Just make sure you do your math right, double and triple check so you don't have headaches later, you should get some nice gains at 5-6 psi.

yea I think he's referring to the m90 that was used on the thunderbird 3.6 v6
dont put words into my mouth:-P
i wouldn't touch the ford with a 10 foot pole:roll:

GM L67 series II 3800 v6
wiki said:
The L67 is the supercharged version of the Series II L36 and appeared in 1996, one year after the normally-aspirated version. It uses the Eaton Generation 3 M90 supercharger with a 3.8" pulley, a different throttle body, fuel injectors, cylinder heads, and lower intake manifold than the L36 uses. Both engines share the same engine blocks, but compression is reduced from 9.4:1 in the L36 to 8.5:1 for the L67. Power is up to 240 hp (180 kW) and 280 ft?lbf (380 N?m) of torque. Final drive ratios are reduced in most applications, for better fuel economy and more use of the engine's torque in the low range. The engine is built in Flint, Michigan. The engine was certified LEV in 2001.

This engine was used in the following cars:

1996-2005 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
1997.5-2004 Buick Regal GS
1996-1999 Buick Riviera (optional 1996-97, std. 1998-99)
2004-2005 Chevrolet Impala SS
2004-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
1996-2004 Holden Commodore (VS, VT, VX, VY)
2001-2004 Holden Monaro
1996-1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight LSS (limited)
1996-2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

if your going to the trouble of doing this wouldn't you just set the eaton up to hit max it's RPM at the Max RPM your going to run the engine at, then just use MS to tune for what ever boost you end up running, i mean if your gonna do it might as well go all the way.

not really
that would give me something close to 20lb of boost from talking to some of the GM guys with the 3800v6
going over 5psi requires using an intercooler from the heating of the air, even at 5 psi its still 60-80F
i'm not sure if there is space for the pluming of an air to air intercooler which would meen fabricating some sort of air to water setup to sit between the carger and the plenum
thus is where it gets expensive and complicated

seems like all that work for only 5-6 psi would be.... eh

do it right, intercool it, you know you want to. i got an ebay intercooler in the front of my car without having to move the radiator more than an inch back (and only at the bottom, its angled) so you should still be fine with clearance (which i assume is your concern about intercooling)

seems like all that work for only 5-6 psi would be.... eh

do it right, intercool it, you know you want to. i got an ebay intercooler in the front of my car without having to move the radiator more than an inch back (and only at the bottom, its angled) so you should still be fine with clearance (which i assume is your concern about intercooling)

on an engine that already makes 208bhp adding 6+psi on a DOHC engine with a good intercooler and header should be able to push it up to 300+bhp and make for a really really fun car to drive

on an engine that already makes 208bhp adding 6+psi on a DOHC engine with a good intercooler and header should be able to push it up to 300+bhp and make for a really really fun car to drive

exactly

i think i'm going to draw this **** out tonight, makes it easier to explain
uggg... i think i know a car a little to well if i can visualize all this stuff easily

going over 5psi requires using an intercooler from the heating of the air, even at 5 psi its still 60-80F
i'm not sure if there is space for the pluming of an air to air intercooler
There is. The Eaton won't just mount-up onto your head &/or intake manifold without any custom messing-around; you'll need some sort of piping anyway, may as well set that piping up to involve an intercooler.

I was thinking about using a 2:1 ratio so that the SC is doing 12000 rpm to the engines 6000rpm. I was also planning to use a normal SC bypass valve combined with an adjustable cbv, venting to atmosphere to bleed excessive boost, and if there was too much air get a different pulley in the end.

There would be a lot of piping around the place using an air/air IC so I'm planning a water/air cooler.

i ran this last night on eatons site, it was a well tuned 200hp NA B230 that i made up on dyno2003 sometime back with a maxed out eaton M112

HP is on the left torque is on the right in NM

2060355843_506b6771a7_o.jpg

Sorry for pinching the photo 740atl

This is an idea for the intercooler I had, it could be made with steel sheet and a heater matrix cheaply enough I reckon,

you get the idea

Back