GrandmaSideways
AW71AW71AW71 AW71AW71AW71

Looks great!
GrandmaSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #27
Jeh
Hurt'in

Default Update!

Its been awhile since I did anything to the car but I decided to pull it off the road to get a few things done before winter rolls around.

My blower fan has been noisy for quite a while and last summer (I jumped right on this ) it lost speeds 1 and 2 and since it was on its way out I had been stuck with essentially loud and louder.

So part 1 was to replace the blower fan.

Since the dash was going to be out It was now a good time to clean up the abortionistic wiring rats nest behind the dash and under the glove box. With 5 new gauges, a relocated radio, a wide band and a few switches its gotten out of hand so it was time for a major cleanup.

Part 2 is a dash rewire.

I have also been chasing down an odd stumble and after numerous e-mails to Sweden with the Hi-Tuning people (Freds chips) we determined the issue was on my end and after countless hours screwing around I narrowed the problem down to my wiring harness.

So part 3 is the engine harness replacement

And my paint wasn't holding up so I am going to de-trim it and pull off everything I dont want painted and send it back to Earl's for a respray.

Part 4 is a repaint.

Since there are numerous threads detailing in great horror the removal of the fan I wont go into it. It took about 4 1/2 hours all told over a couple of nights after work and since I wasn't in a bind when my knees hurt I went home. The only good picture to show is the fan resistor and damn it was cooked.

No wonder my voltage dropped 2 volts when the fan was on.

Next it was time to tackle the rats nest behind the dash....Not Pretty

What a mess. It probably took me 2-3 hours to totally clean that up, get all the lights working and put it back together. All in all, much better.

Next its the engine harness.
Jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #28
Jeh
Hurt'in

Default Onward...

Since I had a bad feeling about the condition of the harness and I've pulled a few of the older ones in the past, I was pretty certain it was going to come out in pieces. I decide to look for a replacement harness and had to look no farther than our parts department and found one of the last LH 2.2 harness available in the country.

Ahh flexible goodness.

I also added EZK to my car I figured now it would be much easier to do the modifications to a new harness on the bench vs doing it in the car so with a new razor blade and tools of destruction I cut i to my new harness.

Injector resistor pack install

and finished.

Here is the harness ready to go in. The MAF wiring has been moved, the eye let for the alternator replaced with a larger on for the 100a Denso and the EZK has been wired in to the ECU end.

LH2.2 for a B230f+T+EZK with electric fan.

I have some schematics that I drew up so if I ever have to go in it should be a little easier to track the harness. ( I will post those later)

I probably could have gone deeper and pulled some of the redundant wiring but felt there really wasn't any gain to it and the couple of extra plugs are under the manifold. I did take the time to pull all the Chrysler ignition wiring from the car.

BTW. I am still working on putting the harness in HOPEFULLY this will get rid of my stumble.

Last edited by Jeh; 09-08-2010 at 01:49 AM..
Old 09-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #29
Jeh
Hurt'in

Default Odds and ends

I picked up a set of Arrakis Wheels from an S80 in the shops junkyard and put on a set of old Kumhos from the parts guys BMW. The 225-45-17s rub a little but I will have a set of new Contis in 215/45/17 byt the time it gets back from paint.

I also found a deck spoiler for a late 240. I sanded and painted it and it came out ok but I am up in the air on whether I will keep it.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #30
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Looks very good, I like it. Not many black 240s around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #31
Jeh
Hurt'in

Finally getting to back to the track

The last time I went for an Auto-X back in April I was running on the 16 in tires and without my Fred's chipped ecu and had my ass handed to me by everything that showed up.

This time it will be different

I have my Chipped ECU so I can run 17 psi vs 10, it should be about 25 degrees cooler and I will be able to run the 17's with a set of Kumho ASX. Yes they are pretty worn but they were free and my goal is to absolutely destroy them.
(I will bring my old set of tires to drive home on)

Instead of running a little less than the 1/2 the track and a few cones its going to be the full on 1.65 mile track and it was resurfaced over the summer.

(See the track up a few posts)

I'm stoked. I gave the car a run up to Sandia Peak a week or so ago just for fun to see how it runs in the cooler temps.

It doesn't look fast but I was keeping it legal.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #32
Jeh
Hurt'in

I went to the track last Nov and finally got a chance to run the car with the Fred's chip at full boost 17-18 lbs and a little larger tire 225/45/17 vs the 250/55/16 I ran the last time. After destroying them at the track I replaced them with these. Conti DWS.

Anyway back at the track (sorry no pics as there were only 4 cars that day including a Smart Car ) But I do have a few videos.

The day was a blast as there was nobody on the track and I really had a chance to play and practice.

BUT, I killed my trans. My 2nd M47 is biting the dust. The first one had 420k on the clock and was noisey in neutral 3rd and 5th so I picked up a 2nd one and I hurt it.
It will pop out of 3rd under anything more than very mild acceleration, so its time to go.

Anyway I've decided not to run this car at the track anymore as its still my DD and it gets hard on the equipment. SO I am going back to an Auto and I pulled an AW72L from a 92 940 16v and this car will just be my fun but not abused DD

Rebuilt Shifter assy.

Resealed Trans ready to go in. It will get a new pan gasket once its up in the car.

This car is pretty much finished as much as it will be for a while, aside from the normal odds and ends, so its on to the next car.

I recently acquired a 16V motor to play with and was going to put it in my 86, with the end goal being a 16V+T but then I found this.

So I am going to put the 16V into this and get it running and then work on getting it turbocharged. I will drill the block or weld a bung (haven't decided), get it running and proceed as the parts become available.

And here is the Project Thread for the 77 240.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:18 PM   #33
Jeh
Hurt'in

Well the auto is back in, being a much improved AW72. I actually like it. Its not as fast off the line but from 60-90+ it really pulls nice. And at cruise of 70-75 the rpms are down about 500. I just need to reinstall all the wiring and its done. I may have a manual trans install kit for sale soon.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #34
940T4850T5
Board Member

awesome build very nice!
940T4850T5 is offline   Reply With Quote