• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940T Electrical to Engine Driven Fan Conversion

NWVlvTnr

'83 Biege 245 DL DD
Has anyone ever done this? It looks like a matter of fabing a cylinder to fit in place of the electric fan.

Fabbing a cylinder?

screw 4 studs into the water pump, attach mechanical fan clutch, attach fan to clutch, make sure you've got a 740 turbo fan shroud and you should be good to go.

I have a 740 turbo shroud but the radiator is further forward on a 940, a NA 740 shroud may work.

I don't see it as a step down, the mech fan moves more air plain and simple.

Has anyone ever done this? It looks like a matter of fabing a cylinder to fit in place of the electric fan.

StealthFTi has done it; documented on his pages (which should be easy for you to find).

The issue (in my mind) with the 9 series E-fan is it appears to actuate at too high of temps. Several have modified their 9's with a temp switch on the return side of the radiator hose (suction hose to WP). The 9 series E-fan only needs a ground to either of the relays for LOW and HIGH speed operation. SAAB guys have used the 83*C switch on their radiators to actuate the E-fans. Seek and ye shall find.

My e-fan runs just fine I'm not attempting to repair any problem, I'd just like a little bit more airflow for to keep my mild red block cool, I live a lot closer to the equator then most brickers. A tropical fan clutch (that I salvaged from my wrecked 740) seems a good adition to the large late model radiator.

I'm pretty sure I can play around with fan shrouds and get this right.

I'm intrigued but am unable to find StealthFTi's articles.

My e-fan runs just fine I'm not attempting to repair any problem, I'd just like a little bit more airflow for to keep my mild red block cool, I live a lot closer to the equator then most brickers. A tropical fan clutch (that I salvaged from my wrecked 740) seems a good adition to the large late model radiator.

I'm pretty sure I can play around with fan shrouds and get this right.

I'm intrigued but am unable to find StealthFTi's articles.
So why kind of temps do you get that make you feel like you need more?

What year car?

Myself I have 92+ na rads in both cars (wider than older model). And here in AZ summers my cars survive 120deg temps just fine. The n/a 940 with a/c does great with the stock rad and fan. And my 330+whp 740 does fine also while running 25psi boost in middle of summer heat with the Volvo elec fan. I have just last week swapped over to a e36 all aluminum rad in the 740.

So why kind of temps do you get that make you feel like you need more?

Myself I have 92+ na rads in both cars (wider than older model). And here in AZ summers my cars survive 120deg temps just fine. The n/a 940 with a/c does great with the stock rad and fan. And my 330+whp 740 does fine also while running 25psi boost in middle of summer heat with the Volvo elec fan. I have just last week swapped over to a e36 all aluminum rad in the 740.

Mike, you got an actual head temp gauge your 740? The rear fitting under the #4 intake runner? If YES, then I'm curious what temps you are registering back there using the stock E-fan systems.

I've got no "real temp gauge" in my 92, just the factory "compensated" which I don't trust as far as I could boot it. When I get a real gauge in there, it should be interesting to see the actuals......

Back