• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T3/T4 not spooling in first

Lots of different things to look at. The .63 hotside is gonna make it spool a bit slow, but depending on how fast you are revving through first you may not be loading the engine enough to generate the boost you're after. I can get the same turbo on a stock b230ft to make 25-30 psi in first gear, but that's with a 3.06 first gear, 3.08 final drive and a 29" tall tire.. and it makes 30psi damn quick with some assistance.

What transmission?
What final drive?

Stock engine, or if not, what mods?
How much preload do you have on the actuator?
Do you have a boost controller or are you just on the spring?
What boost pressure is the wastegate rated for?

Guess nobody thinks this is important..:doh:

I mean I've been in turdboat Volvos and Xratties with the crappy Thunderchicken T5 that with gearing alone zip thru the "2 car length 1st" so quickly the turbo simply doesn't have time to spool.. cause its Brap! Done..
But that's just what I actually have seen..
This is Turbobricks Performance which sits squarely in the New America, the post-truth, alt-factual Merikuh so pointless the muddy the discussion with facts and reasoning..
Shame on you! And me!:oops:

Guess nobody thinks this is important..:doh:

I mean I've been in turdboat Volvos and Xratties with the crappy Thunderchicken T5 that with gearing alone zip thru the "2 car length 1st" so quickly the turbo simply doesn't have time to spool.. cause its Brap! Done..
But that's just what I actually have seen..
This is Turbobricks Performance which sits squarely in the New America, the post-truth, alt-factual Merikuh so pointless the muddy the discussion with facts and reasoning..
Shame on you! And me!:oops:

Still on the stocker M46

Wedge it open and test the whole thing. You could actually just seal the exhaust shut and test intake and exhaust all at the same time.

Does the T cam have enough valve overlap for this to be possible?

Ok well I put my mouth to the exhaust and gave her a blow and air was leaking from... you guessed it, the wastegate, not at either of its flanges but where the valve actually seats, anyone know how to seal this? Not sure why there was resistance blowing though if in some cylinders both valves could be open. Wouldn't I just be blowing out the intake?

Last edited:
I believe my wastegate is still running on the stock 9psi spring. Also it still leaked when I blew in the dump tube so that means I'm not simply building enough "boost" to open the spring with my mouth when blowing in the exhaust, because blowing through the dump tube would be forcing the valve against its seat and it still leaked.

Update, rebuilt the wastegate and it is now sealing however, I still can't build much boost in first. When I put my foot to the floor, the boost needle climbs to around 5psi and it starts to pull decently (at least I think, never really know what it should feel like) but then I hit redline. At 3500 like most people say for full boost on this turbo, I'm still not even in boost. In second it seems to pull ok but is still kinda "cut off" by redline. Also decided to blow through the hose coming from the turbo cold side to test the intake side for leaks. Had to blow pretty hard but could hear air moving and I was losing pressure somewhere. Couldn't pinpoint it exactly but I was wondering if I was just forcing air through the breather hose and out the intake?

Use an air compressor to test for boost leak.

What kind of t3/t4? What stage turbine wheel?

It is possible to have too big of a turbo for your setup.

My T04B V trim with state 3 turbine wheel doesn't hit full boost (24psi) until after 4k on my GLH, but my engine is setup to rev to 7k.

Never actually examined the wheels when I rebuilt the turbo but here are the numbers on the turbo placard. It is stamped garrett.

Serial no: PEM02354
Part no: 466159-5008s

Intake side is stamped : "AR: .60"
Exhaust side is stamped: ".63"

I was under the impression that this was a popular turbo for these cars. And I don't have an air compressor to test for leaks so my mouth is the next best thing I got.

I'm also now having a misfire issue...

Thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=337916

Edit: did some research and it looks like this turbo Is a T3/T4E and originally came with a .82 AR hot side, stage 3 turbine and 60 trim compressor wheel. Could this explain it??

Last edited:
Still need to do a boost leak test. Blowing into it with your mouth ain't going to even remotely come close, might get to .5-1psi, maybe. Definitely could be a bit too much turbo depending on the rest of the build but without a boost leak check, it's hard to tell where you're at.

Back