• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HIF6 vs HS6

Good idea. Those straight-pull extension springs are what wears out the bushings, in my opinion.

That is my theory as well. When I took mine apart the side with the spring was more worn than the other side. It is probably one of the reasons why HIF shafts last longer. Along with not having brass on brass moving parts (relatively high friction coefficient).

Worse than brass on brass, it's brass on cast alu on the HS carbs. This may have worked better with leaded gas (purely a guess? But maybe some evaporated fuel ended up in that area and helped?). Or they just never expected the Brit cars they were normally bolted to to last long enough for it to be an issue.

Worse than brass on brass, it's brass on cast alu on the HS carbs. This may have worked better with leaded gas (purely a guess? But maybe some evaporated fuel ended up in that area and helped?). Or they just never expected the Brit cars they were normally bolted to to last long enough for it to be an issue.

I ended up sending the carb bodies out to Tom Bryant in Maine who replaces the brass with delrin for a decent price. I heard good things about his work. I think any modern option whether it be PTFE, oilite bronze, or delrin would be an improvement over the stock setup.

I'll post some pictures when I get them back.

I wish I had a drill press and reamers or I could be doing this work at home.

Rhys is the only person I will send stuff to anymore. Had 3 different people "rebuild" sets of carbs for me for different cars, Austins, MG's, Triumphs... Rhys was the only one that I did not have problems with, either right at install, or later down the road.

I have been driving my car quite a bit more recently and I really can't wait until I get the throttle parts from Rhys and the carb bodies from Tom. The weber DGV is a pain.

I got needles from Rhys over 20 years ago for my B18 HS6's, when the motor was a bit less hopped up. Worked great.

Then I got a set of DCOE's and I haven't missed the SU's at all. :lol:

I've got the carburetor bodies back from Tom. Just waiting on throttle spring parts.

What should I setup as far as air filters? Can you mount three bolt filters to two bolt carbs but block the third hole?

Back