• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best shock and spring combo for 850 for a smooth ride?

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
So my 1994 855t has koni shocks and unknown to myself spring rate springs up front on coil overs. These have solid upper mounts. This makes for a very harsh ride on the highway over not so great roads.

What do y'all recommend for upper mounts and spring rates to help smooth out the harshness of the ride?

I am not against building an entire new setup if needed despite how beat the car is I enjoy driving it (wife's DD) and after the 600mile road trip we took this weekend I would love to make it ride better.

Thank you
Mike

Following. Need soms ideas for the front suspension.

On the rear axle of our 850 we chose following combination and the result is a firm/stock suspension but far from harsh:
Bilstein B6 shocks (p/n 24-146135)
Lesj?fors Overload/heavy duty springs (p/n 4295859)

Coupled with fresh suspension bushings its quite good and miles better than the tired Nivomats. Ride height is same as stock. Maybe it's not exactly the setup you need but just a combination that seems to work.

I don't know what springs to suggest. Maybe just some lowering springs with stock upper mounts? But with the Konis I would only change the springs if you need to and adjust the Konis to their softest setting for a smooth ride.

a good set of solid mounts will not hurt the ride comfort, it all comes down to springs and dampers. A ****ty set of solid mounts will not be good though.

The struts are konis but I will see if I have the part number as I seem to remember that they needed a custom upper bushing to fit into the solid upper mount so I am not 100% sure what car they were for so they might also be very mismatched.

Ok so for sure the struts are the Volvo 850 Koni yellows, part number 8710 1350Sport. The spring seats were just removed and converted to coil overs.

Back