• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone else's truetrac make this noise?

IansPlatinum

Anyone else's truetrac make this noise?

https://youtu.be/YXlnenhnDFg

It only does it under the following conditions:

1. Diff is warmed up (after driving for 15+ minutes)
2. Coasting on turns. If I accelerate through the turn, the noise immediately goes away.

When I had the truetrac installed, I also had the tech install all new pinion, carrier & wheel bearings.

It makes the noise turning right or left.

It doesn't quite sound like screeching tires, because at very slow speeds & turning, it sound like a quiet baseball card in spokes

I initially put FCP's liquimoly 75W90 (GL5) in before I realized that was synthetic (only 200 miles on that fluid), then switched to Lucas 80W90 non-syn at the recommendation of eaton tech support

Never heard that. Mine was whining after about a year. That's when they told me as well to change from synthetic. So I to used the Lucas stuff which did stop about 90% of the whining. You could try the thicker Lucas stuff. There is an 80-140. That is what I used. The sound seems to me to be the sound of when the gears are freewheeling.

Never heard that. Mine was whining after about a year. That's when they told me as well to change from synthetic. So I to used the Lucas stuff which did stop about 90% of the whining. You could try the thicker Lucas stuff. There is an 80-140. That is what I used. The sound seems to me to be the sound of when the gears are freewheeling.

That would make sense, considering it's only while coasting (which would be slight deceleration). Maybe my rebuild is still breaking in and causing everything to run hotter? I guess I could try a thicker fluid until everything is broken in, or would that not make things run even hotter?

I've not had good luck with Lucas products myself. My wagon has 75w90 Mobil1 full syn, runs completely silent and grips really well. The 140 has Valvoline, same for the Dodge, no issues with those. Redline made some odd noises.

I've used different brands of basic 75W-90 synthetic, Redline Shockproof Light and Heavy. Never any noise.

I started with synthetic and man was it noisey. So dumped it out and put 80/140. Its made a huge difference. There is a link somewhere of test for all the rear dif. grease, I will try and find it and post it. Amsoil has a additive that suppose to help with the clunking noise.

I've not had good luck with Lucas products myself. My wagon has 75w90 Mobil1 full syn, runs completely silent and grips really well. The 140 has Valvoline, same for the Dodge, no issues with those. Redline made some odd noises.

Lucas is local and very popular. There is a local pulling tractor shop near them. I visited there shop one day and I asked how come they didn?t run Lucas products. All they would say is Lucas does a good job promoting and advertising. Look at the link I posted above. Thanks

Yup, that comparison has been around for a long time. Also doesn't reflect CURRENT oils, only what was around 12 years ago. But, Lucas rated poorly back then, not just per that report.

I put lucas conventional 80W-90as per the advice of the tech at eaton. He claimed they use lucas conventional 80W-90 in their field tests, and that the oil is "field proven" for the application. I still hear whining during coasting turns, but the truetrac definitely works. Will try thicker oil and see what happens...

Update time:

Still running the Lucas 80W-90 conventional.
Noise appears to be slowly going away after about 3,000 miles. It definitely has gotten quieter and has reduced in the number of occurrences. I used to be able to drive from cold start 10 miles, and the noise would appear when coasting & turning in parking lots and even right & left turns. Now it does not happen on turns even after driving dozens of miles. Only during sharp parking lot turns can I hear a faint noise that is only a fraction of the original noise that was occurring.

TLDR: Apparently truetracs are capable of making some strange noises during break in.

Truetrack (588) made some noise (creaking) when it was new too, but only noticed it when I made sharp turns in parking lot.
Running Repsol hypoid/axle oil, good quality, forgot the specs, viscosity according to Volvo manual. I did change it after a year when I felt the unit had enough time to be broken in and I had motivation to change it. It has been silent after a few-100 miles.

Noticed that amsoil makes an additive to quiet the dif down. Mine is loud as heck but it has only been in for about 50 miles. I now feel the rearend moving around when I corner, so it looks like Im gonna have to invest in some rear bushings.

Noticed that amsoil makes an additive to quiet the dif down. Mine is loud as heck but it has only been in for about 50 miles. I now feel the rearend moving around when I corner, so it looks like Im gonna have to invest in some rear bushings.

Truetrac/Eaton does not recommend additives because the differential interactions are 100% helical gear interactions. I flushed out my fluid after ~300 miles of driving, and then have ~3000 miles on the new fluid, about to flush again and leave it in for a long time.

Back