• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie 245t owner need some performance info

127hp. Lol

Replace all the vacuum lines. Make sure they fit tight on the nubbins. Your injection system won't work properly with unmetered air in the system

Wow, a survivor with all that stock FI on it....now that you found TB all that history will be lost once you start hot rodding it :(

Wow, a survivor with all that stock FI on it....now that you found TB all that history will be lost once you start hot rodding it :(

Quite possibly, though not really my intention:/
So I bought myself a vacuum line kit, motor and trans mounts, got the car running at what seems close to its 130hp by locating a vacuum leak on the TB and one at the fitting between the airbox and the turbine induction pipe. I've also ordered and ipd spark wire set. I'll grab some more ignition bits soon. I'd like some suggestions on brands and such for various bits I'll be picking up soon.
Gonna get new spark plugs, the ones in it are fresh but I was thinking I may need colder step plugs- any suggestions?
Manual boost controller- was thinking a basic Hallman
Intercooler- brother is gonna give me an Evo 9mr intercooler, figured I'd get it on with an eBay piping kit or something like that, does anyone sell an adapter plate to rearrange the orientation of the throttle body plenum?
Has anyone got any suggestion on a cheap but mostly reliably down pipe an how will that effect the fuel injection, are they're mods to support that?
Does anyone know of a boost gauge that'll fit where the oem one is that's not 70$?
I've already searched several sight and come across bits and pieces, but would love some additional input on these items

Oh and also, I grabbed a sewer pipe elbow made from rubber and some abs plastic so I could get colder air to the airbox without modding it. Saw it on Kjet.org. In retrospect it would seem like if I'm turning the boost up a bit the rubber, although quite firm may decrease it radius from suction. Has anyone experienced that from this mod?

Quite possibly, though not really my intention:/
So I bought myself a vacuum line kit, motor and trans mounts, got the car running at what seems close to its 130hp by locating a vacuum leak on the TB and one at the fitting between the airbox and the turbine induction pipe. I've also ordered and ipd spark wire set. I'll grab some more ignition bits soon. I'd like some suggestions on brands and such for various bits I'll be picking up soon.
Gonna get new spark plugs, the ones in it are fresh but I was thinking I may need colder step plugs- any suggestions?
NGK BPR7ES
Manual boost controller- was thinking a basic Hallman
Nothing wrong with that.
Intercooler- brother is gonna give me an Evo 9mr intercooler, figured I'd get it on with an eBay piping kit or something like that, does anyone sell an adapter plate to rearrange the orientation of the throttle body plenum?
You'll need the IC elbow. The TURBO hat is cool, but doesn't lend itself to reorientation. I tried. I'm sure it can be done, but not easily.

art0026_img001.jpg

Has anyone got any suggestion on a cheap but mostly reliably down pipe an how will that effect the fuel injection, are they're mods to support that?
DIY that sh*t.
Does anyone know of a boost gauge that'll fit where the oem one is that's not 70$?
Any of the standard 52mm/2-1/16" gauges will fit.
I've already searched several sight and come across bits and pieces, but would love some additional input on these items

While you're going thru the effort of adding an intercooler, do an intake manifold swap too. The stock b21ft intake is awful but the stock b21F intake is cheap, plentiful, direct fit and hugely better flowing. The only challenge is figuring out new piping which you'd be doing anyway.
Don't think anyone has ever done back to back dyno but I'd bet a dollar just that swap would net 5-10% power increase.

Last edited:
While you're going thru the effort of adding an intercooler, do an intake manifold swap too. The stock b21ft intake is awful but the stock b21ft intake is cheap, plentiful, direct fit and hugely better flowing. The only challenge is figuring out new piping which you'd be doing anyway.
Don't think anyone has ever done back to back dyno but I'd bet a dollar just that swap would net 5-10% power increase.

One of those "b21ft"s should be something else. B230FT?

Congrats with the new car. The B21FT is a low compression K-jet engine with a big T3-turbo. Turbo lag is an understatement!!!
The stock engine puts out a whopping 135 bhp (around 105 whp) in stock trim, about as much as a high compression 2.3L engine without turbo lag. But the engine is nearly bullit-proof and can take lots of abuse. In the old days it was the engine of choice for tuning projects.

All the lost knowledge and black arts of tuning B21FT K-jet engines is hidden in the 'Articles' section. The button between 'HOME' and 'Community'.

First do a stage 0: Change all filters, oil, plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap. Clean the flame trap and replace all the old vacuum hoses with blue silicon (get rid of all the vacuum leaks and looks much better).

To get more out of the engine and to reduce lag, you need to improve breathing (in and out), raise the boost and cool down the intake air.

The standard modification list looks like this:
Modify the airbox (See Articles section)
90+ exhaust manifold + T3 turbo or at least 15G.
NPR Intercooler + silicon intercooler hoses
MBC + more boost
3" downpipe + sport exhaust (or just remove the middle muffler)
Cam upgrade (A, B or IPD turbo cam)
OBX header
B21F (Swan neck) intake if you want to keep K-jet.

Doing all of the above will get you close to 200 bhp, maybe more.
Above this the K-jet system becomes a limiting factor.
You can do the 'terminal 11' mod (See 'Articles')...but that's about it (unless you have $$$$ to burn).

NEXT:
B230FT intake + Microsquirt
Accumulator Mod for AW71
IPD turbo, V, K or H-cam.
T3/T4 .50 trim, HY35, HE341CW or HE351CW
Raise boost to 2 bar :oogle:

Modified for more or less advance?

If retarding the advance just to run more boost, not always ideal and that can work against you.

I modified it so I can pull MORE retard once into boost, subsequently I advanced the base timing to about 17* BTDC. Then I was able to run 15 psi with unmodified slightly screwy Kjet, at 15 the car seems to run out of Fuel pressure so I'll shim the return line at the fuel dizzy a little bit and see how that goes. Just installed an AFR gauge as well so I can be somewhat informed about what the thinks about all this goings on.

That is a sweet car btw. Glad it got to a car guy :-D

Good luck with future modding.

Cool glad to be an official member of TB! I hope to get some write ups going. I've come across the handful of Nay Sayers and I'd love to push this thing a bit. Still waiting on my intercooler for a bit, and in determined to rotate the stock turbo hat for mnimal$$ and post a how to on it. I'd like to be be a contributing member, I don't think killing the k jet system is necessary either. I've been slowly collecting information from various threads as I go. Anyone who says to use the search function can SMD cause I've been going through countless threads of info to expand my grasp on this stuff. I'm a bonkers Toyota enthusiast at heart, but sought further to suit my my domestic needs and now I'm here. Piece by piece I hope to contribute to the next bloke to pick one of these up, but my motor goals are about 165 bhp for now, and then I'll move on to the appearance of this beater. Dear lord it's ugly, in a sense, but then again I think it's character makes up for it ten fold:)))

Being that you are in California, don't get too crazy with the modifications unless you plan on returning to stock for your next smog check.

Back