• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How many quarts aw71

90volvo

I modified my trans pan (aw71) for a diy dipstick. Only problem is when I refill the trans I won?t have any idea how many quarts it will take to fill it up. I?ve search and find different amounts. I couldn?t measure what I lost cause I had a leak. Any help will be appreciated.

^^

What John said. Don't even pour all three in. Put in 2-2.5 and then keep checking the level as you add fluid. It usually takes ~ 2.75 quarts to top off the trans when the pan is drained. Not all of it comes out due to the way the drain is designed. John is probably right on the money with 3 if the pan is removed.

Also if you overfill the transmission it comes out the vent hole in the top when running - so check for smoke and be ready to wash it off your exhaust if you're estimating the fill.

Also if you overfill the transmission it comes out the vent hole in the top when running - so check for smoke and be ready to wash it off your exhaust if you're estimating the fill.

That's good to know. For whatever reason, when checking the fluid levels in my AW70s I always seem to get a different reading each and every time.

That's good to know. For whatever reason, when checking the fluid levels in my AW70s I always seem to get a different reading each and every time.

Are you checking it in the same situation each time? (transmission fully hot, running/not-running, etc). The level changes quite a lot between hot and cold.

I modified my trans pan (aw71)

Oh, God. :doh:

for a diy dipstick.

Oh, God part 2. :doh::doh:

Only problem is when I refill the trans I won?t have any idea how many quarts it will take to fill it up.

To make your ghetto dipstick properly accurate, someone would have to get under a stock setup, hold the original stock dipstick beside the stock tube, mark on the tube where the "full" marks *should* be, then measure how far above (or below) some fixed point on the trans (maybe the lip of the pan?) where the fluid *would* be when full. Then copy those height measurements onto to whatever piece of old garden hose your new tube is, and mark your broken antenna "dipstick" accordingly.

^ Well you and I both logged in to turbobricks, I'm just surprised this isn't posted in performance & modifications.

Trans needs to be hot for accurate reading in my experience. At least 20 minutes of driving, preferably spiritedly. Then, engage park, reverse, and drive, each for about 5 seconds or so. Then check while running on a flat surface.

^^ After you follow Master Blaster's advice, you can then use the correct procedure to check the transmission fluid level.
Personally, I suggest, keeping track of how much fluid you added for future reference with your modded set up.

Thanks for the info. I made my dipstick out of 5/8 copper line. The hard part was finding inverted flare nut. After I found that I flared the copper line. I measured tube length of another 240. The original dipstick fits perfect on the 5/8 line. I also used a small piece of steel strap and drilled hole to mount to transmission bellhousing then zip tide the copper tube to it. I believe I’m still over filled, tranny fluid dripping towards back of tranny on passenger side. Even though my hacked dipstick works I’m still going to find me a original set up. I think I can relate better.

Back