• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

turbo upgrade Questions ?share Ur Knowledge

bennyg

So I have a new TD04H-13c ? stainless downpipe , and I'm going to do the 15G or 16T turbo upgrade , from the research I have read there are 3 hotside options as far as purchase of hotside pieces , 1.] the conical style from early 850's ,which would make my swap easy and match my existing Stainless D.pipe,but is less efficient 2.] the flat/straight flange which was on later 850's / which is more efficient ? or 3.] the flat /angled hotside housing which is from the V70 ? which is a true? 3" or as close to ,and the most efficient ? This leads to my dillema , since the early conical hotside housings are less efficient ,and harder to find for the 15G upgrade setup ,I should bite the bullet and modify my new Classic Swede pretty pipe to accomodate a flat flange .Dillema # 2, will either the FLAT/straight ,and the FLAT/angled flanged hotside housing replacements work on my 1991 B230FT 745 ? and does anyone know of a company selling a pre existing flat flange to conical downpipe [ classic swede makes one,but out of stock } transition pieces or should I just plan on fabricating a flat flange W/ a short 3" stubby and transition weld/clamp to my pretty pipe ? AND/OR last but not least does anyone have any of the pieces /or suggestions they want to SELL for my 15G /16T swap like housings ,turbo, etc etc Thanxz to all sincerely Ben

If using adapter u might as well use conical flange, I don't think the 15g will easily outflow the conical housing anyways.

So I can use my existing conical hotside housing from the b230ft 91 745 ? If on flea bay I purchase a refurbed 850 Td04hl-15g,W/flat flange for around 400 duckets .Seperate the CHRA and coldside turbine housing and reclock all into my b230ft hotside ,I wont lose that much efficiency ? or should I use the whole 850 refurbed /reclocked flat flange and just modify my downpipe . I figured since Im going to purchase items do it right the first time ,or would the gains be negligible with the 15G on the current tune so to speak , then later on upgrade again if iwant to ?

You can probably find a 15G for less than $400 on here. This is especially true if you're willing to stick with the conical flange.

**EDIT** here you go, buy one from Dicktater: For Sale: Turbos, Oil Coolers, and other stuff

Unless you've got specific HP goals beyond what the conical 15G can support, change as few things as possible. Keep your current down pipe, find a conical 15G with minimal play, bolt it up and go.

Last edited:
Mark and all others ,thanxz for the help ,I contacted Mr. tater ,that is EXACTLY the type of assistance I needed . I think the 15G conical setup is gonna suit me fine for now where I'm at until I can build another engine and learn more ...Thanxz again and keep the suggestions coming ,and keep these threads alive ,cause there are still a few of us learning what the masters already know !

A 15G is plenty of turbo for a street driven car. Greg Ervin's 740 was making ~ 250 WHP running a 15G with all the supporting mods on a stock cylinder head and lower end. The car was still easy to drive. His power goals are much higher now and the car is a completely stripped, caged race car. That's the reason I asked you in your other thread what your intended use for the car was and your power goals. Anything past 300 WHP and the AW-71 transmissions don't last long.

Yes ,I think the 15G will do fine for now ,I'm in the process of trying to round up the pieces ,I did have a few questions about the hotside housings ,and was trying to get it figured before making any purchases ...i wish I would have waited on my downpipe purchase but... perhaps ,as others have said the difference with my conical exhaust wont be noticeable at my level of tune ? In the event I cant find a conical hotside already setup 15G am I correct in the assumption that the 15G chra and turbo coldside will mate right up to my 91 b230ft hotside and just need a reclocking ?

I have not seen any dyno sheets proving that a certain TD04 turbine housing limits performance over another variant.

I would expect that the differences are small/negligible. A 45mm turbine expanding to a 65+mm exit housing, the housing will not be a major restriction in the overall system.

Thanxz to all for the help,and the heads up on the parts , I liked the 15G so much ,I bought 2 MOO AHH Ah... Thanxz to BrickBro Mr D.Tater... Now I dont have to chop up my Pretty Pipe , just turn it a pretty blue . I will be installing my AEM wideband about 40" downstream to be safe , and then turn My SS Sveedish Sleeper loose on some unsuspecting victim

I loved the 15g for DD. I know there is probably better turbos out there for a DD. But for the money you can pick up an 15g for cheap. I just upgraded mine to 19t and I love it. Mine has the angled big housing on it.

I loved the 15g for DD. I know there is probably better turbos out there for a DD. But for the money you can pick up an 15g for cheap. I just upgraded mine to 19t and I love it. Mine has the angled big housing on it.

Curious what you did for your DP and injectors when you went 19t? Can you describe the difference you feel in power with the 19t vs the 15g?

Back