• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

84 242 DL tail light application question

RSJ245

Hello Guys, I have an 84 242 DL and wish to replace the tail light assemblies. It has the original 6 panel lights installed. The listings I see show the six panel lights starting in 1985, are they the same lights? thanks for your help and kind regards, bob

79-84 six panel lights are wired slightly different as they use the brake light in the upper inner panel on each side. The 85-93 light have that panel as the fog light and the lower outer on each side is a combo of running light/brake light. So for an exact replacement you want the 79-84 type.

You can use the newer light but will probably have to open up the connector and move a wire or two. You could also add a jumper wire and use two brake lights on each side if you use the newer light. But you'd have to spend a bit of time to figure out where to make the connections. Not hard to do, just gotta trace it out.

I seem to recall that when I replaced the tails on my 84 244GL I swapped over the circuits from the originals to the newer lenses.

Back