• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel Pump In-Tank Wiring - Inductors?

Kestrel

Replacing girlfriend's 940 in tank fuel pump. Hack job before me put in a 'new' pump, but appeared to have never crimped the positive connection correctly... The reason? There appears to be an inductor on the ends of the in-tank fuel pump wiring leads. When they crimped on new leads, they crimped the positive wire to an insulated section of the inductor wire. Thus, no 12V after all that work, and the replacement pump never even worked! Idiots...

What is the rationale behind the inductors? Are these necessary to keep in the wiring, or can they be removed?

Idk much about electrical stuff, but I seem to recall some weird piece when doing the wiring on my wife's 744 in tank pump. Care to share a picture? I thought I'd removed them, but I could certainly be wrong.

Ah yes. Thankfully I took (bad) pictures.
In73Gab_d.jpg

Rotten hoes:grrr:
W378PqW_d.jpg

This is how I ran mine, none of the factory inductor/resistor crap or whatever they were
7UsEHIb_d.jpg

This is a screenshot of a much larger picture, so pardon the quality. In the bottom right, I believe these are what you are talking about? Did my Airtex E8778 pump in December of 2017, no issues thus far.
qqpyosS_d.jpg

Replacing girlfriend's 940 in tank fuel pump. Hack job before me put in a 'new' pump, but appeared to have never crimped the positive connection correctly... The reason? There appears to be an inductor on the ends of the in-tank fuel pump wiring leads. When they crimped on new leads, they crimped the positive wire to an insulated section of the inductor wire. Thus, no 12V after all that work, and the replacement pump never even worked! Idiots...

What is the rationale behind the inductors? Are these necessary to keep in the wiring, or can they be removed?

Just get rid of whatever you found and go to a ring connector. Most of the 940 sending units just had a ring connector at the end of the wires where the pump attaches. Some of the earlier sending units had "chokes" in the wiring right before the pump. What I was told is they were there to quiet electrical interference with the rest of the car. Radio etc.

Back