• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 97 960 PCV replacement

EDeP

I bought a PCV Breather kit from IPD, but can't find a shred of info on how to replace it for my 97 960. Does anyone have any pics or advice on how to remove and replace?

Thanks!

NA, click here....look similar?

It does look similar, but these instructions are kind of skeletal. The instructions in that picture do not reference any of the parts in IPD breather kit.

Do I have to take the intake manifold off to get to the oil separator box? Do I have to take the injector rail off too? That?s are some of the question I?d like to answer before I go committing an outdoor evening(s) to this project.

I always pop the intake at the rubber. The worst part about doing it this way is getting to the bolt on the bottom of the manifold. If I remember correctly you can get it out if you pull back the power steering pump but it's hard to the gasket/clamp on the bottom where it drains back to the crankcase.

84B23F might be pointing you in the right direction though. If you remove the flame trap and soak it in a degreaser over night, with a paper clip, you'll be able to push the gunk out of the tiny holes.

What made you decide to change it, a little extra money in the budget as preventative maintenance or smoke coming out of the oil filler cap?

What made you decide to change it, a little extra money in the budget as preventative maintenance or smoke coming out of the oil filler cap?

Smoke is coming out of the oil filler cap and dip stick. Oil leak somewhere too (I can’t find it)

Breather kit includes a new flame trap. I talked to a guy at IPD and he said they do not include the intake manifold gasket because on the inline 6 you can access the oil separator from the bottom of the car. But it sounds like most people are taking the manifold off accessing from the top.

I plan on tackling this project tomorrow and over the weekend. I’ll keep this thread updated as I go along.

Thanks for the help hikerguy and 84B23F!

But it sounds like most people are taking the manifold off accessing from the top.

With older EFI vehicles, I renew injector o-rings, after buying....but if too much was involved, I would evaluate o-rings fitness via John Deere 80% Ether Starting Fluid.

Ended up having a busy weekend and didn't get started. Since it may be a week until I can, I ordered an intake gasket, injector O-rings, throttle body gasket, and some 5mm vacuum line. Now I can take the intake manifold off like everyone else has been doing and change out some old parts while I'm it. Will update again soon.

Back