• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 244 fuel return line replacement

chronicrhythm

My fuel return in leaking about mid body and I was wondering if it would be ok to replace it with rubber line or if I should get a used metal one from the junkyard. I saw this thread saying it was ok to use rubber line but wouldn't mind a second opinion. My line is very thin in multiple spots from the front to back so it would need a good amount of line. Thanks https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?id=1564158&show_all=1

The link you posted was advice from a late good friend of mine, but we didn't always agree on patch-up repairs where safety was a concern (like with brake lines or fuel). On my 40-year-old 244, I replaced the rusty lines with the same clad steel used in the original. I'd guess only 1 in 10 TB'ers would have the same concerns about that repair that I had.

Don't see any TB'ers jumping on this one, so I'll drop another brickboard link.

https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/volv...992_volvo_240_sedan_fuel_line_leak_spray.html

This thread is mostly about a '92 with nylon lines, but at the bottom, in the post titled "bundyweld" I show how I took care of my '79 what you need to take care of on your '80.

I?m not familiar with 240?s, but have replaced a few rusted steel lines with Cunifer, AKA cupronickel. Easy to work with, bends by hand and is strong enough for brake lines, so should be sufficient for fuel lines. I?d recommend that over running rubber at length.

The return line uses rubber hose and hose clamps from the factory for connections (yes there are some threaded ones along the way...), so I wouldn't worry about rubber hose and clamps. Return line pressure is just a few PSI, so no need to buy EFI hose or anything special.

I would worry about the rusty line getting a hole again, or the rubber hose trapping moisture if it's located under the car.

I would buy bulk brake line (coated steel or NiCop) and run a new section under the car. Connect the new section to the original with rubber hose and clamps, or use flares and threaded fittings. All of the parts you need will be ~$35 on Amazon, and will require a few hours of work.

The return line uses rubber hose and hose clamps from the factory for connections (yes there are some threaded ones along the way...), so I wouldn't worry about rubber hose and clamps. Return line pressure is just a few PSI, so no need to buy EFI hose or anything special.

I would worry about the rusty line getting a hole again, or the rubber hose trapping moisture if it's located under the car.

I would buy bulk brake line (coated steel or NiCop) and run a new section under the car. Connect the new section to the original with rubber hose and clamps, or use flares and threaded fittings. All of the parts you need will be ~$35 on Amazon, and will require a few hours of work.

I think thats what I'll end up using is the NiCop because it lasts a really long time. The rubber hose sounds easier but I don't want it to tear, rip off, or cause the body to rust more than it already is. Thank you everyone for your responses. I will hopefully have time to get to this project once and for all this fall/winter.

Back