• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Too much time + Bad Ideas = Supercharged 760?

jwernerny

Being out of work, I spend 1/2 of my time looking for jobs openings that are not being filled anyway, and the other time working on a book I'm writing and working a side-gig I picked up before I was let go from my main job. (Not related, just "good?" timing.)

Anyway, "I've got too much time on my hands" (to think of bad ideas and explore what they might take to do. This idea involves my '88 764. It is a solid, well maintained car. In general, it has plenty of power, and I really like 2.8 liters of torque. (I have a WRX 2.0 with a lightened flywheel - launching that thing on a hill is "interesting" to say the least.)

My idea: I disconnected the belts from the non-working AC. It was never converted, and I don't think the cost is worth fixing/converting it.

What I did notice is that if I removed the AC Compressor and Bracket, I would have plenty of to mount a G-Ladder or Centrifugal supercharger.

So, dream with me an help me see what it might take.

Some questions:
  • Anyone ever Supercharge a B27/B280. I know John Lane (?) did a B27 Turbo possibly with a 3.0liter Eagle premier block.
  • Any advice on where to find good used centrifugal super chargers.
  • I know the tranny is fragile -- I can do the mod. It works on the '92 940.
  • Once a super charger installed with intercooler and blow-off valve, what should i be looking at for fueling system changes.
    • Can I just put in bigger injectors and let the O2 fix the mixture?
    • Should I re-chip? Micro/Mega Squirt it?

-John

I have experienced one compressor build-up, Triumph 2500 six with Eaton pump. Compression ratio calculations, headers and very mild cam. Engine sounds lovely when revving.

In real life, it doesn't deliver. Boost is something like 0,4-0,5 bar (6-7 psi) but torque just 180 lbsft. Next step is more ratio to compressor and RE85 fuel, but i dont expect party where everybody is invited.

Back