• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

92 740 AW70L transmission questions

chronicrhythm

I've been trying to solve this transmission issue on my 740 and I have gotten lots of answers but not sure which one makes most sense. It shifts great for about 10 minutes then has a hard time shifting from 1-2 then 2-3 sometimes doesn't fully engage. It neutrals out in 3rd and then will have to rev up to the rpms it is in in 2nd to gain speed. What are symptoms of a bad governor on these? I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything. My kickdown cable is loosened quite a bit so I don't think it is that and it returns nicely. Fluid is still nicely colored but I haven't done a change since I got it and I've put on 25,000 highway miles. Any one have these same symptoms and what fixed it if you did?
Here is a video showing the neutraling out problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcE-DdT6IOI

That transmission is done. When it warms up the clearances inside the transmission change allowing the fluid pressure to drop. Don't waste your time and the money to do a flush and filter change. I've had more than one AW-70/71/71L end its life in this manner.

That transmission is done. When it warms up the clearances inside the transmission change allowing the fluid pressure to drop. Don't waste your time and the money to do a flush and filter change. I've had more than one AW-70/71/71L end its life in this manner.

Could it possibly be a bad governor as someone thought and be a simple fix or not likely? And I assume the clearances you are talking about are in the valve body?

Should I look into getting an AW71L from a 93+ 940? Also I was reading some old posts and people talked about how their lockup would kick off pretty easily without going into 3rd gear. Mine never did that and would jump from the lockup to 3rd gear quite often when accelerating to pass someone on the highway. Is that big of a jump something that could have damaged the internals of the transmission?

Back