• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B21F Intake Modification

Well the intake was only part of the many mods to this engine, but I give it alot of credit for the shape of the torque curve. Note this is with a large T04b compressor, which was the limiting factor in how fast the torque came up.
dyno+sheet+sept+30+2007.JPG

Well the intake was only part of the many mods to this engine, but I give it alot of credit for the shape of the torque curve. Note this is with a large T04b compressor, which was the limiting factor in how fast the torque came up.
dyno+sheet+sept+30+2007.JPG

Although many mods to the engine, the long runner made a huge difference in the flat torque curve. And the manifold is cheap. Having it modified will be the expense since I can't weld it.

The kjet injectors that fit in the head spray at the intake valve. The LH injectors in the manifold just spray into the intake tract.

I'm sure you can measure it off a standard intake. I don't think it's any different for the kjet set up either as I don't think we changed the angle when it went from intake to head.

manifold2_zpsfcd4bf9d.jpg

manifold1_zpsa8833396.jpg
IMG_1821_zps0a643a44.jpg

IMG_1818_zps7b1721b0.jpg

Couldn't get it to idle below 3k so removed icv. idles fine when hot, bit sensitive when cold. Thats installed on my RHD 945. The 960 throttle body needs spacing, had to fit the 960 tps upside down, the 940 one is far too big. I pulled the the throttle plate bar out and put it in reversed so the flat bit was in the right orientation for the tps. I also fitted 3" pipe work from the intercooler to throttle body too. Reduced the lag and feels quicker now.

What size aluminium tubing did you use on the intake? I know injector holes are usually 3 stepped, or 2, so curious to see how you did it + dimensions. Will be putting in a 2.3 turbo to mine soon, luckily there's tonnes of K-jet manifolds here in the UK so finding one isn't hard, relatively easy and cheap.

Same vacumn lines and all I believe, I'll be using a 960 throttle body. There's photos on here and other threads, but no dimensions.

What size aluminium tubing did you use on the intake? I know injector holes are usually 3 stepped, or 2, so curious to see how you did it + dimensions. Will be putting in a 2.3 turbo to mine soon, luckily there's tonnes of K-jet manifolds here in the UK so finding one isn't hard, relatively easy and cheap.

Same vacumn lines and all I believe, I'll be using a 960 throttle body. There's photos on here and other threads, but no dimensions.

I'm looking at doing this myself since I have an extra B21F manifold...

while searching I've found these:

http://www.injector.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=57
(pricey at $12 each)

http://rossmachineracing.com/injectorbungs.html
($5 each)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Piece-Alu...320-/230513256036?hash=item35aba92664&vxp=mtr
(search ebay using "injector bung" ... less than $5 including shipping )

Summit Racing and JEGS has them as well.

The injector bung can be drilled straight through. I use a 14mm endmill and drill straight through some 3/4 alum rod. Well I use some 3/4x1/2 tubing to start with

FYI I had the benefit of a kjet 405 head on my lh2.2 equipped car so fitting the intake was only a question around plumbing and mounting the rail. It sure liked having the injectors in the head!

Here's mine. Not pretty but it works good.

Liking this set up. I'm in the UK so not Stateside, would these still count?

http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=315

14mm recess for the Bosch O-ring. Will they have to be re-drilled after TIG welding in due to the possibility of heat warping the metal, or? I heard it's a nack to get them all in the correct angles. How did you guys cut off the bottom inside the manifold so the bung wouldn't protrude into the runner?

I apologise for the questions, I can do this as I have K-jet manifolds up to my ears in the UK - they went on every 240/740 injected Volvo over here basically. I will also be doing the 960 throttle body underneath, I heard you might have to weld in a spacer? Go from 3 bolts to 4 bolts, of course, but due to the TPS you need the spacer to use the 940 one.

Tim

I've welded hundreds of injector bosses in and have never needed to ream to get it to seal. Nice thing is, it's only holding boost pressure

Making sure they are inline and square is a place to spend some time. If not, it can rock the oring in the rail and cause a fuel leak

I can measure my spacers I just got done doing, it's like 7/8 tall to mount the 960tb with either tps

Cheers Nathan. What I'll do is make sure they're in line, should be okay. You want them facing at a 45 degree angle don't you so it sprays into the valves essentially, rather than the opposite side of the runner.

Would you be able to get some photos of the manifold/spacer? I know the 960tb is a 4 bolt mount so not hard to make one at 7/8".

Run the injectors layer down as far as you can. My limitation is the drill chuck in the mill. Use a die grinder burr and flap wheel to port the bung smooth with the runner

Check out the fuel rail thread in th group buy section for 960 TB setup

Looks good - just checked out the thread, is the 850 N/A throttle body far better to use I see due to the tps not being squished to oblivion? 850 N/A is the same size as the 960 I believe but I have to use the 960 throttle shaft as you said. The 850 tps will still plug into LH2.4.. Surely? Or won't it? Would the 960 tps work with a big 7/8" spacer between the bottom of the throttle body and the manifold. Sucks when I don't have the bits here to work it out myself!

Sorry I'm inept with modern equipment. It's not beyond me, I'm just used to old school tuning - HC pistons, blue printed crank and polished rods, bigger valves. Nothing like this but it's new so a change.

Tim

12115739_10205028000928611_1180507063716495000_n.jpg

Manifold coming along... 960 TPS has been flipped and the injector bungs will hopefully arrive tomorrow. Can I take out the IAC port which is fouling the TPS? I wont be putting in a cold start injector so that'll get blanked up too.

Trying to experiment with what size spacer I need to mount the tb... 90x90x20 seems to work, ish. Might try 7/8" as you suggested Nathan. Did you guys lengthen your throttle linkage to make it work, or?

Mines turns out to be 1-1/8. I pull the iac tube out and weld it up. You can only lengthen the throttle arm if you also reratio the spool or if hooked up to the pedal make it have more throw

I've just ordered a 100mm square aluminuim block that's 40mm thick. Chap I know who's posted on here had problems with the 960 TPS and the IAC so will be putting a 940 TPS on it... Injector bosses arrived today so just need to find a fuel rail and injector to use.

I'll be lengthening the throttle linkage by a 1-1.5" spacer, threaded on both ends.

Back