• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

96 Volvo 960 manual swap boiz

dani960

hello fellow enthusiast!

I decided to manual swap my 960 and already have the tranny (cd009). I'm going with Deeworks adapter plate, which uses an 850r flywheel and a Sachs 765 pressure plate. All I am really wonder about is the clutch pedal:thinking:. would any of you happen to have a volvo 960 clutch/manual brake pedal assembly? and how much would you want for it or would it be easier to just cut the stock auto brake pedal and install an aftermarket clutch pedal? also, I'm assuming that I can just get the clutch with 24 splines to fit the cd009 input shaft but the same size as that of a stock volvo clutch? Any help is appreciated!! thanks

hello fellow enthusiast!

I decided to manual swap my 960 and already have the tranny (cd009). I'm going with Deeworks adapter plate, which uses an 850r flywheel and a Sachs 765 pressure plate. All I am really wonder about is the clutch pedal:thinking:. would any of you happen to have a volvo 960 clutch/manual brake pedal assembly? and how much would you want for it or would it be easier to just cut the stock auto brake pedal and install an aftermarket clutch pedal? also, I'm assuming that I can just get the clutch with 24 splines to fit the cd009 input shaft but the same size as that of a stock volvo clutch? Any help is appreciated!! thanks

960 manual petal box would have to come from Europe, maybe see if a 940 one would work(even then good luck finding one).

850r flywheel uses a 240mm clutch disk that iirc has a 7.5mm uncompressed thickness. But with the 765 pressure plate the thickness may change.

hello fellow enthusiast!

I have a CD009 going in my 740 behind a b6284t engine. I'm also using a single mass 850 fw with the sach 765 pressure plate. Bully Clutch in Ottawa, Ontario Canada made the custom disk for the clutch. I have the Deeworks adapter kit and I'm using a GM T56 internal slave. I can take some measurements for you but since the motor/tranny/clutch aren't installed yet I cannot tell you if all fit and performs correctly at the moment.

There is also a local guy here who did a manual swap on his 960 wagon and he has a CD009 installed but behind a 16V + t engine. I'm pretty sure he used a 740 pedal box with an hydro setup. He's a member here. I can ask him to shim in and describe what he did.

I have most of the details of a hydro clutch 940 manual swap in the thread in my signature. I was able to get a lot of stuff from my local dealer at a pretty reasonable price and modified my auto brake pedal to fit. You should have all the brackets for the clutch pedal under the dash already.

I have a CD009 going in my 740 behind a b6284t engine. I'm also using a single mass 850 fw with the sach 765 pressure plate. Bully Clutch in Ottawa, Ontario Canada made the custom disk for the clutch. I have the Deeworks adapter kit and I'm using a GM T56 internal slave. I can take some measurements for you but since the motor/tranny/clutch aren't installed yet I cannot tell you if all fit and performs correctly at the moment.

There is also a local guy here who did a manual swap on his 960 wagon and he has a CD009 installed but behind a 16V + t engine. I'm pretty sure he used a 740 pedal box with an hydro setup. He's a member here. I can ask him to shim in and describe what he did.

i would appreciate the measurements since im going to using basically the same kit as you are haha. I did read that the 740 hydraulic clutch pedal works but its still hard to find a maunal 740 as a parts car

. You should have all the brackets for the clutch pedal under the dash already.

i just checked under the dash and it looks like i only have the bracket for the brake pedal, next to that is what im assuming is the tcm where the clutch pedal would go

i would appreciate the measurements since im going to using basically the same kit as you are haha. I did read that the 740 hydraulic clutch pedal works but its still hard to find a maunal 740 as a parts car

You need the clutch disk thickness?

the kit im going to get is designed using the 765 cover and a 1/8" spacer with the 850 flywheel to get the engagement point right. getting the 707 would change this no?

so you know what clutch disc you are using? you can't really decide how much of a spacer the pressure plate needs until you know the clutch disc thickness. The 765 is set up for a 10mm thick disc and the 707 is setup for a 7.5-8mm thick disc...meaning you would need a spacer to run a 765 thickness disc under a 707 plate, but it would be impossible to run a 707 disc under a 765 plate.

What flywheel are you using exactly?

so you know what clutch disc you are using? you can't really decide how much of a spacer the pressure plate needs until you know the clutch disc thickness. The 765 is set up for a 10mm thick disc and the 707 is setup for a 7.5-8mm thick disc...meaning you would need a spacer to run a 765 thickness disc under a 707 plate, but it would be impossible to run a 707 disc under a 765 plate.

What flywheel are you using exactly?

i was going to use an 850 single mass flywheel, but im not sure. here is the link to the adpter plate if you want to take a look.

https://www.deeworks.ca/product/vol...0z-370z-g35-g37-6-speed-transmission-adapter/

That has nothing about a flywheel or 765 pressure plate in it. Where did you come to those conclusions.

The CD009 to whiteblock adapter kit was designed using a CD009 + 850 single mass flywheel and Sachs 765 PP/custom cd009 splined clutch disk that I provided to RogerDee. I guess it would work with other FW/Clutch/PP combinations if you can get the clutch slave travel right.

Maybe the question should be answered by RogerDee?

The CD009 to whiteblock adapter kit was designed using a CD009 + 850 single mass flywheel and Sachs 765 PP/custom cd009 splined clutch disk that I provided to RogerDee. I guess it would work with other FW/Clutch/PP combinations if you can get the clutch slave travel right.

Maybe the question should be answered by RogerDee?

How thick of a clutch disc are you running? You need to step machine the flywheel for a 765 to work properly with a regular 8mm clutch disc...

For a 960 yes you need a clutch/brake pedal assembly from a 940T (it is a the hydraulic unit). Add a stock Volvo slave cylinder and -4 AN fitting that goes to the TO bearing.

I cannot speak to the CD009, but if you need Mustang T5 info let me know.

How thick of a clutch disc are you running? You need to step machine the flywheel for a 765 to work properly with a regular 8mm clutch disc...

Haven't measured it yet... I left the pressure plate and flywheel to Bully Clutch for them to make the disk so I guess that they did their homework?

I'll measure the disk and will report back.

yeah, you shouldn't need any sort of pressure plate spacer to make that work...in fact, it might be a little too thin. Unless the spacer which is listed is for the slave cylinder.

yeah, you shouldn't need any sort of pressure plate spacer to make that work...in fact, it might be a little too thin. Unless the spacer which is listed is for the slave cylinder.

Yes the spacer is for the slave cylinder.

And I suspect that my caliper isn't very precise. So it could be closer to 10mm

Bully must've made the disk with the thickness that resulted in the best clamp force with my 765 PP.

Back