• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How-to separate the control arm from the lower ball joint?

mark244turbo

I want to replace all the 30 year old bushings of the front suspension my volvo 740. Some have detoriated beyond recognition. I managed to remove all the rusted bolts, but now i am having trouble getting the lower control arm of the ball-joint. It's stuck and won't move a bit.

Is there a way to remove the lower control arm of the ball-joint without ball joint separator??

I have a dead blow hammer. I usually smack the lower control arm a few times and it will come apart.

But if it won't. A separator may be your only option.

FWIW you may need to replace the rear susp.bushings too........ have you checked them also?

I want to replace all the 30 year old bushings of the front suspension my volvo 740. Some have detoriated beyond recognition. I managed to remove all the rusted bolts, but now i am having trouble getting the lower control arm of the ball-joint. It's stuck and won't move a bit.

Is there a way to remove the lower control arm of the ball-joint without ball joint separator??

I'm going to guess you mean OFF the ball joint? A 4lb. sledge held on the back side, and a big dead blow hammer administered with authority on the front. Other than that, a tool designed for the job.;-)

After 30 years things seem to merge together with rust. First I couldn't get the control arm stay off the control arm. So i decided to remove them together. But then the ball-joint spoiled the fun. I couldn't get the control arm off, even after intens hammering and prying. Finally I unbolted the ball-joint and removed the merged control arm and stay as once piece. On the bench i was finally able to hammer the ball-joint out.

In the mean time i have replaced the control arm, control arm stay, installed poly bushes and replaced the torn CV-boot.

Thanks for all the replys.

Back