• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

problem setting lh2.2 ignition timing

Canadan

Hey guys, I've got a 240 with ezk from a 740 turbo and I'm having a crazy issue when checking the ignition timing. When I hook up a timing light the mark just rotates 360 around the crank instead of sitting still. Even when I move the distributor back and forth the mark doesnt stop or even slow down, it just keeps rotating at maybe 10 rpm while the engine is idling. Theres no way this motor could be running on 360* of "dynamic" timing like what the timing light is showing me. I borrowed another light thinking my harbor freight one was junk but the other light acted the same. Everything appears normal but the timing mark just keeps rotating instead of visually sitting still under the timing lights strobe. Any ideas? Am I doing somwthing wrong here? I'm just hooking the leads to the battery and the pickup around #1 wire.

Your crank pulley/harmonic balancer is bad. It should not do this.

B230Balancer.gif

Son of a... your exactly right. I had this thought earlier and even jiggled the pulley by hand but didnt bother marking it. I just marked it and let it idle for 30 seconds and sure enough it had walked. Guess I need a new balancer now. Thanks for the advice hyperfauto!

Back