• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

timing belt/ no start ?

GrTsRr2o1hpNUxn78

oa9QpQ9l.png

As weird as that ragged hole / crack / gash looks, it's normal for 240 heads.

To embed pictures from imgur, go to imgur, right click on the picture and select "copy image location" then click on the little mountains+sun icon here and paste the location in. Add a lower case L, i.e. "l", after the image name, but just before the .png, or .jpg, to make the image smaller.

For your image, I pasted in: oa9QpQ9l.png

Thanks for the clarification. I was excited thinking that was my problem..was going to rip the head off this morning.

everything else turns freely. The cam is the only thing that would not turn fully.

well, the camshaft does turn more difficult when a camlobe has to push down a valve against the valvespring tension. repeat for each valve. that is normal

however, the camshaft should not bind to the point where it can not turn at all
that is NOT normal.

Has the cam been out or swapped recently? if yes, have the cam bearing caps been installed in the original locations? Those caps are numbered and they should always be reinstalled in the same spot where they came from. Reason: when the head was manufactured those camshaft bearings were linebored/honed with those caps in place.

If you mix them up the cam might bind up.

another possibility: maybe something else in the valvetrain has broken or is binding? stuck (closed) bucket?

New tensioner and I pulled the camshaft after this happened the first time. I think it might be time to pull the head and check all the valve springs etc. I have never pulled a head apart so it will be a learning experience.

Have you:

A) Double checked the numbering of the cam journal caps ?
B) Did you say the intermediate shaft/dizzy is turning freely ?
C) Use an old belt to carefully try turning the cam & observe if any buckets are seized ?

did not do 3. Cam is out right now. Can I check that with the cam out?

You can push them down with your thumbs. Use 1 thumb on top of another and put your body behind it because they are pretty stiff. I guess this depends on your personal strength but I’m weak and I can do it.

Back