home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
turbotankshane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandrew View Post
Honestly if we followed your example all I would have to do is run 20 feet 4" intercooler piping and no intercooler since that would have the same surface area right?
I already ordered my 20 feet of 4" tubing before I sensed the sarcasm...
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #27
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Hey guys, I just want to let you know I'm building a 99 Audi A4. Listen to me, because I am right.

Oh, wait. Nobody cares. Carry on.

1968 Furd Rustang fastberk | 2JZGTE VVTi | MS3X ECU | PT6776S | 4L80e Microsquirt TCU Sloppy Transbrake | 3.73 8.8" rear end

1981 Piper Cherokee Archer II | All stock
gross polluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #28
zandrew
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
Hey guys, I just want to let you know I'm building a 99 Audi A4. Listen to me, because I am right.

Oh, wait. Nobody cares. Carry on.
It has nothing to do with me owning an A4 or the 740 I also own. The point was that the reason people use 2.5" over 3" is because its cheaper which is BS. 3" is absolute overkill with such a tiny compressor that these turbos run. If you don't believe me I don't care. If you do believe me I don't care. However unlike most members that make forum hp I actually go out and do what I advise. I have ran the tests and properly sized intercooler piping increases spool and aids in proper fuel atomization. Bigger is not better and if you want to be honest buying oversized piping is a waste of money unless you have rediculous bends in it which restricts flow.

When I did the testing it was on 1986 turbo MR2 that I built from scratch. A turbocharged engine is a turbocharged engine. Just because one says Volvo and another says Audi it does not make them that different from one another.

Gross Poluter I see you have two 2JZGTE powered cars. Well if your running anything less then 10" intercooler tubing you are doing just to save money and being cheap.....

Last edited by zandrew; 05-18-2014 at 04:14 PM..
zandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:44 PM   #29
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

If you have data to substantiate your claims, post it up. "Because I said so" doesn't work around here, regardless of what you drive.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #30
zandrew
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gross polluter View Post
If you have data to substantiate your claims, post it up. "Because I said so" doesn't work around here, regardless of what you drive.
Dude your being a douche and your making something out of it that is not there. I never once said hey since I own an Audi this is right and this is wrong. I said that I have $7k in a motor it would be stupid to save $20 on intercooler tubing or does that not compute and neccesitate you pulling your forum cuffs?

Now since you want to be the forum police why don't you ask the other member to actually post proof of his proposition? Or does your policing only go after new members since you think they know less???

Like I already said I am looking for the graphs I had posted but the forum the info was posted on is long gone from 8 years ago. I may just re run the tests just so you can eat some humble pie and put your forum cuffs where the sun doesn't shine.....

or is this more because you can't understand what the thought the process???

"Since I swapped a 2JGTE in a Volvo that gives me the right to call out new members as I please........." Oh, wait. Nobody cares. Carry on.

You know it drives me absolutely crazy when members jump into a thread and post nothing of value and take away from the conversation and all they do is derail the topic. I bet that makes you feel special.

Last edited by zandrew; 05-19-2014 at 08:49 AM..
zandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #31
gross polluter
They see me trollin'

Quote:
You know it drives me absolutely crazy when members jump into a thread and post nothing of value and take away from the conversation and all they do is derail the topic.
You must drive yourself insane then, with your walls of text. Everyone else in this thread is right. You have nothing to prove them wrong, despite your claims. It's that simple.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #32
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Quote:
You know it drives me absolutely crazy when members jump into a thread and post nothing of value and take away from the conversation and all they do is derail the topic. I bet that makes you feel special.
The irony here is sublime.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #33
Sharingan 19
Board Member

Indeed, it is. ....

However he isn't wrong about the IC piping. 2.5" will support more airflow than 99.99% of 8v engines could ever hope to need (hell, at the power levels in this thread, 2" piping doesn't even offer a significant restriction). While the quicker response provided by 2.5" piping may be marginal , there are certainly no disadvantages when compared to 3" piping which offers no improvement in cooling and a decrease in response.

However, to get back on topic, when is the next dyno day planned? Any measured difference in mpg?
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #34
Lando
Arthur Digby Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan 19 View Post
Indeed, it is. ....

However he isn't wrong about the IC piping. 2.5" will support more airflow than 99.99% of 8v engines could ever hope to need (hell, at the power levels in this thread, 2" piping doesn't even offer a significant restriction). While the quicker response provided by 2.5" piping may be marginal , there are certainly no disadvantages when compared to 3" piping which offers no improvement in cooling and a decrease in response.

However, to get back on topic, when is the next dyno day planned? Any measured difference in mpg?
Just because the 8V cylinder head is the biggest restriction doesn't mean you can't reduce headlosses else where in the system and notice performance gains. From the Air filter all the way to the tail pipe is just a big series circuit. How do you find the equivalent resistance of a series circuit?
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #35
turbotankshane
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharingan 19 View Post
Indeed, it is. ....

Next trip will be after I can get a downpipe and get an intercooler in. And no, mpg has been staying around 18 avg since I've had the ipd cam in regardless of other mods.
turbotankshane is offline   Reply With Quote