home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 05-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #1
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Default Turbo Options for 850 (Question)

Ok, so here is the deal, the 855T is the wifes DD, currently the car has a 15g that was rebuilt a few years ago but because of the turbo whine and smoke at idle I am starting to think this turbo might be on its way out. So here is the deal, I want to upgrade the turbo BUT I am not wanting to go all crazy on this car (yet). The car is manual swapped and while I am about to build a full exhaust for it I am trying to determine which turbo is the best fit for it. While I have a 19t on my 945 that I could swap onto this car am not a fan of super quick spooling turbos on white blocks because of the uh known issues they have.

So because of this I am trying to think of other turbo options that are a good fit for say a 300whp car. For the time being the car is only running 10psi and I am working on relearning more about tuning M4.3. While I do have a spare white block that I might build up for this chassis who knows.

Back to turbos, so on paper for sure I would want a .63 Volvo turbine housing and prob something like an ATP WG. Past that I am trying to make sense of a reasonable compressor side. The car is the Wife's DD until I get her something newer which might be a few years so I am not looking for a giant t3/t3 monster but I am wanting something a little laggier (hence the T3 setup). Besides just a basic .60/.63 T3 what are other good mild turbo options or ideals for these cars?

I guess something like a smaller size t4 might be ok as it will add enough lag that I would not worry to much about boost at lower rpms but will still get up and go up top when I drive the car.

Thank you for the time to read.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:21 AM   #2
Wesdunns70t5m
Board Member

Back when I had my s70 I was running a 19t and it definitely made for a quick car. Instant spool yet pulled decently up top too. Back then I remember a thread or two from volvospeed where people were making really good numbers running a 20g. I believe at least one hit the 400hp mark. I’d always wanted to try one of those on a whiteblock. Good luck with whatever you decide
Wesdunns70t5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Thanks, my thing is that I am trying to get away from the td04hl series turbos, more exhuast flow on these engines help pick up a ton of hp up top and that is what I am looking for.

I have a spare 15g, and 16t on the bench I could I guess throw in it is just one of those things that I am trying to do once vs my 744 where I went through 5 turbos and I am about to put my 6th on it. Even my 945 I am on my third turbo waiting to do my final turbo on it.
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
tryingbe
Boosting along.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/p...883814137.html
Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
NotSoFresh
Sick ****** T-Brick Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
Thanks, my thing is that I am trying to get away from the td04hl series turbos, more exhuast flow on these engines help pick up a ton of hp up top and that is what I am looking for.

I have a spare 15g, and 16t on the bench I could I guess throw in it is just one of those things that I am trying to do once vs my 744 where I went through 5 turbos and I am about to put my 6th on it. Even my 945 I am on my third turbo waiting to do my final turbo on it.
I call BS on this one...
NotSoFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
Dicktater
Cretin

How about the Holset hx30, just did this on my 945 it fit like a glove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMeatWagon View Post
I hope your treehouse gets cancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
I buy a few when foodstamps get here because I have an investment strategy.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo740b234/531 View Post
I smoke my weed and dream of an awesome life
Feedback >http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=197700
Dicktater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoFresh View Post
I call BS on this one...
HA, it is a GT2871R, it better be the final turbo. My 744 is getting a GT3582R so that one also is getting its final turbo.

Harry while I will have a spare HY35CW soon once I swap the GT onto the 744 that seems like way to much turbo, but it would be fun to spin in 4th.

Edit oh snap that is an HE351, big big turbo, maybe I will give that guy a call, let me check my stash of cash. Have a spare R manifold I can get milled flat?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #8
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktater View Post
How about the Holset hx30, just did this on my 945 it fit like a glove.
I have been telling people that the HX30 is a really ideal turbo for most but I think I have yet to find one for a good deal, that might be a good sized turbo for the 850 . . . Where did you find yours? My issue is that I would prefer a water cooled unit.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
Sjeng
Board Member

If you already have it, why not put the HY35 on the whiteblock.

It spools fast enough (imo) on my 940 daily. 10cm housing.

Full boost 3500 rpm, will save the rods from taking a beating on a whiteblock. Looks to be what you are looking for.

Last edited by Sjeng; 05-11-2019 at 05:59 PM..
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
ErikS
FWD!

I have my K24 and greens sitting in a box I am about to sell. Made 299 whp and 310 tq on my manual 850.

Dyno is in my build thread somewhere.
ErikS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #11
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

You’re spot on about improving the exhaust side. A gt28rs, 2871 or 3067/71 would all be insanely good turbos on that setup. You may want to lean towards the 30’s for a bit slower boost curve to keep the rods straight.
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
Dicktater
Cretin

Quote:
I have been telling people that the HX30 is a really ideal turbo for most but I think I have yet to find one for a good deal, that might be a good sized turbo for the 850 . . . Where did you find yours? My issue is that I would prefer a water cooled unit.
I live in Cummins, Indiana.....I took it out of the box and the plastic bag at a great price, I may have a line on another NIB, I wouldn't worry too much about the water cooled part.

The waste gate actuator on the turbo I got didn't open till 38 psi, I put an 8 psi and have over boost issues, needs an external waste gate.

Dicktater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #13
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
If you already have it, why not put the HY35 on the whiteblock.

It spools fast enough (imo) on my 940 daily. 10cm housing.

Full boost 3500 rpm, will save the rods from taking a beating on a whiteblock. Looks to be what you are looking for.

My HY35CW here had a ported WG hole to help with the boost control issues along with a larger valve. It worked great until I went to a 3.5" full exhaust where over 5500rpm the boost would blast from 20psi to 30psi by 7000rpm. After that I went External so the internal gate is welded shut. In order to use this turbo I would need another turbine housing or to go external.

And now that I think about it that holset does pull nice @ 10-12psi which is where this car would spend most of its life. Then again that 9cm2 turbine housing is to small in my mind for this engine as it is to small for the b230ft it lives on now, that is why I am going to a 1AR on the GT35. The turbine wheel is good sized tho. I guess something to think about. Clearance back there on the 850 would suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
I have my K24 and greens sitting in a box I am about to sell. Made 299 whp and 310 tq on my manual 850.

Dyno is in my build thread somewhere.
The greens I might be interested in, then again I also happen to have 5 1000cc injectors here and the idea of MS has also been dancing through my mind for when I get the wife a newer DD so I can make this car proper stupid.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 PM   #14
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktater View Post
I live in Cummins, Indiana.....I took it out of the box and the plastic bag at a great price, I may have a line on another NIB, I wouldn't worry too much about the water cooled part.

The waste gate actuator on the turbo I got didn't open till 38 psi, I put an 8 psi and have over boost issues, needs an external waste gate.
What kind of boost issues? I always liked the idea of the HX30 on paper but that WG setup doesn't look much worse than the stock T3, it might need a larger hole and puck to help with flow.

I picked up my HY35CW NIB a long time ago for around $450 off ebay and so far it has been great to me with all of the abuse I have put it through.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Quote:
Have a spare R manifold I can get milled flat?
I have a spare stock exhaust manifold you can use while you get your R manifold milled flat.
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #16
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

I'm with Doug honestly. The 2871 on mine is a touch slower to spool than the 15g but it's still at full tilt by 2800 and will hit 15 by 2500 after a few seconds. Going something like a 3071 on a .63 should slow it down a little but give you some silly 3500+ response and power. It's money though over an HE351 or the like.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #17
ovlov760
Board Member

Have you considered a 18T?
ovlov760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #18
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov760 View Post
Have you considered a 18T?
Trying to stay away from the small turbine housing td04hl turbos.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #19
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

TD05-12b? lol

Seriously though, I kinda wonder if there is something in a TD05 that would fit as well? Just a concept...
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #20
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical

I have a td05-16g from Hahn racecraft here that needs a rebuild....big ugly turbo. I would almost rather do an evo8/9 16g and see how it does.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:39 AM   #21
K9 240
Board Member

Quote:
I have a td05-16g from Hahn racecraft here that needs a rebuild....big ugly turbo. I would almost rather do an evo8/9 16g and see how it does.
I've seen conversions (kinugawa) for those 16g twin scroll evo turbo's to make them up to 20g - would that be worth it? - has anyone tried it?
K9 240 is offline   Reply With Quote