home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default Removing 940 e-fan to install 740 mechanical fan-asking for friend

My "friend" wants to remove 940 turbo efan (non egr)LH2.4 and install mechanical fan with tropical fan clutch.

Is there anything to look out for as far as disconnecting the fan & relay? Or do we just unhook the wires pertaining to the efan and leave the relay unit?

Dont want to disable the front ac fan or want lh to act up.

And to pre answer the "why". Rush hour summer global warming traffic us brutal. It's not even summet and the car runs on the hot side right before boiling, just the way it's designed to be.

It doesn't overheat, but I can see that happening with the AC on on a 110degree day in stop n go freeway.


Bonus question: where can i find thermostat
273459/82: 82C?

I can get 87* ones for days.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Any thread about cut springs, & or +T on a college students budget shall be sent to OT, flogged for 24 hours, participants in said thread shall point the OP in the correct thread link while simultaneously shaming them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando View Post
Shoot the poop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
I WANT TO BE HIRED BY 240240!!!
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #2
sbabbs
Board Member
 
sbabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rushing Lane, Scappoose, OR
Default

When I did it I also swapped to the earlier style smaller radiator and fan shroud. Will that letric fan shroud work with the mechanical fan? That is what I'd worry about. Also maybe change to the smaller water pump pulley if you got the bigger one. Smaller will circulate the water faster or more.

I wouldn't bother with the thermostat unless it's bad..

Are you sure the radiator isn't partially clogged?

Guess what else I did? I ditched the AC stuff.. Ahh well I don't live in Utopia so I can sweat it out I guess.
__________________
1988 245 White slicktop M47 Wagon! 2.5L NA 8v going in.
1990 745 B230FT Getrag JohnV flywheel 240mm clutch 13c A-cam 3.54 G80 548K MILES
1991 740SE B230FT NPR Strut braces IPD bar A cam 550cc EV14's. 3.73 G80 M90 to put in.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #3
Martin L.
Kombinationskraftwagen
 
Martin L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: München
Default

I also swapped to the narrower mechanical fan shroud, left the other 15cm uncovered. The electric fan shroud will not work, it's too short and doesn't reach the fan. Cooling was fine before and after, but engine bay temps are greatly reduced since, specially sitting in traffic after a fast drive.

And "whooosh" sounds after starting like a lorry.
__________________
IDKFA
Martin L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
When I did it I also swapped to the earlier style smaller radiator and fan shroud. Will that letric fan shroud work with the mechanical fan? That is what I'd worry about. Also maybe change to the smaller water pump pulley if you got the bigger one. Smaller will circulate the water faster or more.

I wouldn't bother with the thermostat unless it's bad..

Are you sure the radiator isn't partially clogged?

Guess what else I did? I ditched the AC stuff.. Ahh well I don't live in Utopia so I can sweat it out I guess.
Interesting angle on the pulley? Would it even matter if the rad isn't getting enough air?
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #5
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin L. View Post
I also swapped to the narrower mechanical fan shroud, left the other 15cm uncovered. The electric fan shroud will not work, it's too short and doesn't reach the fan. Cooling was fine before and after, but engine bay temps are greatly reduced since, specially sitting in traffic after a fast drive.

And "whooosh" sounds after starting like a lorry.

What did you do as far as wiring goes? Did you leave the fan relay?
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
My "friend" wants to remove 940 turbo efan
__________________
85 245 | 82 242| 75 245| 69 145 |66 122



Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
sbabbs
Board Member
 
sbabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Rushing Lane, Scappoose, OR
Default

I took the relay out but either way won't matter, just more dead weight I don't need.
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #8
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I only touch "that" car with rubber gloves.
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 PM   #9
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical
 
thelostartof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post

And to pre answer the "why". Rush hour summer global warming traffic us brutal. It's not even summet and the car runs on the hot side right before boiling, just the way it's designed to be.

It doesn't overheat, but I can see that happening with the AC on on a 110degree day in stop n go freeway.
Do they live in AZ? Here in the AZ Summers I have had Zero issues with my n/a and turbo 1993+ 940's with the stock E-Fan in traffic with the a/c blasting on 110-120deg days.

Maybe the rest of the system isn't up to spec? Rad new? They do know that Clutch fans fail also . . .

I have I think a 180 deg temp thermostat from RockAuto in my car.

Personally I think the person might be overly parinod. But to stay on topic, If you just remove the Efan and add a shround with the Clutch fan.

The problem with removing the Efan is that you are now also removing the a/c fan(as cars with the Efan did not have a/c pusher fans) so you will have to add back in an early model pusher fan or an aftermarket unit and set it to come on with the compressor. I did this on my 1995 945T to help A/C temps when at low speeds and now when it is 110+ out I can maintain 45deg outlet temps of the vents with my 300k mile A/C compressor.
__________________
Chip Feedback Thread / PM LH 2.4 Chip Prices
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
Do they live in AZ? Here in the AZ Summers I have had Zero issues with my n/a and turbo 1993+ 940's with the stock E-Fan in traffic with the a/c blasting on 110-120deg days.

Maybe the rest of the system isn't up to spec? Rad new? They do know that Clutch fans fail also . . .

I have I think a 180 deg temp thermostat from RockAuto in my car.

Personally I think the person might be overly parinod. But to stay on topic, If you just remove the Efan and add a shround with the Clutch fan.

The problem with removing the Efan is that you are now also removing the a/c fan(as cars with the Efan did not have a/c pusher fans) so you will have to add back in an early model pusher fan or an aftermarket unit and set it to come on with the compressor. I did this on my 1995 945T to help A/C temps when at low speeds and now when it is 110+ out I can maintain 45deg outlet temps of the vents with my 300k mile A/C compressor.
Even though az might be hotter, the traffic isnt as heavy. Its not 45 minutes to move 10 miles on an everyday basis.

Also on the pusher, wouldn't the woosh from the tropical fan clutch make it to cool the condenser? They pretty much engage when idling.

Ive got a few known good 240 a/c pusher fans that could possibly work

Will look on rockauto for the thermostat
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #11
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical
 
thelostartof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Even though az might be hotter, the traffic isnt as heavy. Its not 45 minutes to move 10 miles on an everyday basis.

Also on the pusher, wouldn't the woosh from the tropical fan clutch make it to cool the condenser? They pretty much engage when idling.

Ive got a few known good 240 a/c pusher fans that could possibly work

Will look on rockauto for the thermostat

You might be surprised what kind of traffic AZ can get, plus that extra 10degrees we get here is just horrible. And being from LA myself I know all about LA traffic...so glad I left.

At idle and low speeds the clutch fan is no where near enough air flow to properly cool the condenser. I will try to get some pics of what I did on my 945 with the added pusher fan.


If the owner just added the pusher fan on top of the stock efan and wired that to come on with the A/C and or another temp switch they should be more than happy with the results.

Is the car na or turbo? If N/A swap it to the turbo Rad and get an extra 10-20% capacity.



Last edited by thelostartof; 05-28-2019 at 03:50 PM..
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #12
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
You might be surprised what kind of traffic AZ can get, plus that extra 10degrees we get here is just horrible. And being from LA myself I know all about LA traffic...so glad I left.

At idle and low speeds the clutch fan is no where near enough air flow to properly cool the condenser. I will try to get some pics of what I did on my 945 with the added pusher fan.


If the owner just added the pusher fan on top of the stock efan and wired that to come on with the A/C and or another temp switch they should be more than happy with the results.

Is the car na or turbo? If N/A swap it to the turbo Rad and get an extra 10-20% capacity.
turbo.

Aux trans cooler that sits in front of condenser
& Water cooled oil cooler.

Keep in mind my" friend" also plans on taking me & towing his jetskis from time to time.
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #13
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical
 
thelostartof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
turbo.

Aux trans cooler that sits in front of condenser
& Water cooled oil cooler.

Keep in mind my" friend" also plans on taking me & towing his jetskis from time to time.

Just to be sure I am not missing anything this is a 93+ turbo car with the already huge rad vs the older models?
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #14
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostartof View Post
Just to be sure I am not missing anything this is a 93+ turbo car with the already huge rad vs the older models?
Yes, 1993 945 turbo. It's got all the good stuff, except that its a 945

Last edited by 240240; 05-28-2019 at 06:21 PM..
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 AM   #15
thelostartof
unbalanced chemical
 
thelostartof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Apache Junction, AZ
Default

How old is the rad? Is the fluid nice and clean or is there any rust in the system? Typically the plastic/aluminum rads fail from heat cycles before they get clogged with buildup.
thelostartof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #16
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Rad looks good. Fluid clean.

I see your pics of the pusher fan.
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #17
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
My "friend" wants to remove 940 turbo efan (non egr)LH2.4 and install mechanical fan with tropical fan clutch.

Is there anything to look out for as far as disconnecting the fan & relay? Or do we just unhook the wires pertaining to the efan and leave the relay unit?

Dont want to disable the front ac fan or want lh to act up.

And to pre answer the "why". Rush hour summer global warming traffic us brutal. It's not even summet and the car runs on the hot side right before boiling, just the way it's designed to be.

It doesn't overheat, but I can see that happening with the AC on on a 110degree day in stop n go freeway.


Bonus question: where can i find thermostat
273459/82: 82C?

I can get 87* ones for days.
Does the 940 have a pusher fan AND the electric puller? I have never seen that, usually mechanical + pusher, or just primary electric puller.

Anyway, efan volvos rum hot af. But with ac on, condenser pressures rise and should kick on the efan, which should absolutely keep it cool.

I added a dedicated switch to control the efan so it doesn’t cook the engine. But you can just unplug the relay connectors and install mechanical fan and it will be fine. LH probably won’t know or care AFAIK.
__________________
Feedback Thread
Current:
93' 244T M47
90' 744 AW70
95' Camry A140E, 246k
99' Camry A140E.
Past (Volvos):
80' 242gt M46
88' 245T M47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71
90' 745T AW71 (Donor car for the 91)
90' 745 NA sold
93' 945T in burgundy
91' 745 Regina AW701 turbo (traded for 96 Camry wagon)
93' 245 M47



People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #18
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Even though az might be hotter, the traffic isnt as heavy. Its not 45 minutes to move 10 miles on an everyday basis.

Also on the pusher, wouldn't the woosh from the tropical fan clutch make it to cool the condenser? They pretty much engage when idling.

Ive got a few known good 240 a/c pusher fans that could possibly work

Will look on rockauto for the thermostat
The pusher fans help quite a bit when ac pressures sky rocket at idle. It’s a simple pressure switch on all 2/7/9 cars. The 2s have them inline I think, and the 7/9 cars I’ve seen all have them built into the condenser itself.

Note the 3 threaded portions bottom left. Not entirely sure what ALL of them do, but 1 of them is for sure the control of the electric puller fan on Regina cars. I’d imagine LH is the same. So it would be very simple to use the original relay and wiring to control a pusher fan that you add.



So sell the 940 efan for $14.99 shipped, install clutch fan and shroud, add a pusher that’s wired in to come on via that pressure switch. One and done.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Does the 940 have a pusher fan AND the electric puller? I have never seen that, usually mechanical + pusher, or just primary electric puller.

Anyway, efan volvos rum hot af. But with ac on, condenser pressures rise and should kick on the efan, which should absolutely keep it cool.

I added a dedicated switch to control the efan so it doesn’t cook the engine. But you can just unplug the relay connectors and install mechanical fan and it will be fine. LH probably won’t know or care AFAIK.
Do you have experience disconnecting the fan?
What do you mean by dedicated switxh? Does it turn on when the ac comes on?

How does this affect the amp draw to the battery?
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #20
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Do you have experience disconnecting the fan?
What do you mean by dedicated switxh? Does it turn on when the ac comes on?

How does this affect the amp draw to the battery?
Yes I do. And I added a dedicated/manual switch in the cabin so I could take control of fan speeds in traffic since volvo thinks 230F+ is cool. I disagree. So I’d flip it on in stop and go traffic. Does not effect amp draw to battery any differently than when the computer or temp switch kicks it on.

And my dedicated switch had nothing to do with ac at all. The fan comes on, when ac is on, if and only if pressures rise above x psi. It’s a fairly low pressure though which is good, because that means the fan will come on long before coolant temps are too hot. But remember, this is only if the ac is on. With AC off, Regina commands fan HIGH speed on at roughly 230F via a temperature switch in the upper passenger side of the radiator (the one that loves to pop out). LH2.4 commands on the fan via the engine coolant temperature sensor IIRC. Not sure if it’s high or low speed, or at what temp, but I’d imagine it’s roughly the same as the Regina cars.

On Regina cars, the low speed is the only speed that is chosen when ac pressures rise.

So again on Regina, low speed is controlled by ac pressures ONLY. And high speed is controlled by coolant temp via temp switch in radiator ONLY.

LH I’m not 100% sure but I am almost positive that it’s the same, only differing portion being that it’s the LH computer that commands on the fan via ECT sensor in the head rather than temp switch in the rad. Both are a bit toasty.





So in conclusion, your "friends" LH car will be totally fine with a clutch fan. Launch the 940 fan in your neighbors yard, install pusher fan that is controlled by the ac condenser temp switch. If you’re handy whatsoever with wiring, it will be a breeze. You can use existing relay and wiring, or add your own simple 4 post relay.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #21
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

Before you even go there, realize that when in traffic the electric fan is going to move more air than the mechanical fan ever will. You are going backwards.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #22
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Before you even go there, realize that when in traffic the electric fan is going to move more air than the mechanical fan ever will. You are going backwards.
Only when it kicks on.


So another much simpler option would be an alternate way of controlling the temperature at which the electric fan comes on. I would opt for an in-line temp switch like the Saab’s used. But instead of using 30+ year old rusty Parts, just buy one for $15 off eBay and put in whatever coolant temp switch you like, that is the same thread pitch.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #23
240240
Cocaina space santa
 
240240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The place of no rust
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
Before you even go there, realize that when in traffic the electric fan is going to move more air than the mechanical fan ever will. You are going backwards.
This was also on my mind, completely stopped
Even my 240 with tropical fan clutch & 3row nissens tends to get hot but not overheat. Hence bringing up a need for a pusher fan.

This opens up another can of worms.....do i just upgradw the efan to something that moves more air?
240240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:12 PM   #24
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
This was also on my mind, completely stopped
Even my 240 with tropical fan clutch & 3row nissens tends to get hot but not overheat. Hence bringing up a need for a pusher fan.

This opens up another can of worms.....do i just upgradw the efan to something that moves more air?
No. You’re not going to find another fan that moves more air, especially on a 7/9 budget. Turbo LS guys 500+ HP use Volvo fans and rads all the time. Just command the fan on at earlier temps.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:22 PM   #25
2manyturbos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Monroe, OR USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
Only when it kicks on.


So another much simpler option would be an alternate way of controlling the temperature at which the electric fan comes on. I would opt for an in-line temp switch like the Saab’s used. But instead of using 30+ year old rusty Parts, just buy one for $15 off eBay and put in whatever coolant temp switch you like, that is the same thread pitch.
When the AC is on the e-fan is always on. That is the way Volvo set it up.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.