• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71 doesn't like to shift until warm

Could be the kickdown cable being out of adjustment. I have had this happen before. Ensure the kickdown cable is set to spec. Also check on the condition of the fluid.

If the kickdown is maxed out it will shift at 5k.

Honestly it was kind of fun that way. someone try it for a track day or autox please.

Is the oil nice? dirty oil will add to issues that make the governor stick... for delayed shifting.

The governor is on the output shaft.... if needed remove the extension housing.... one spring clip and it will slide off the shaft. Clean it up... Be gentle with the 3M cloth that will polish up the valve without sanding it away.... Lube it with clean fresh atf. Reassemble after having replaced the (dead) output shaft bushing cuz it's always dead + a rear trans seal and gasket for the housing... Speedo seals too if it is that old.

Easy-peasy... ASSuming the downshift cable is properly adjusted.... that the engine is making power as it should.... ect ect...

Mine does this into 4th. Shift perfect into every gear when cold. Just not forth. When it is warmed up after driving a few miles, it shift into fourth. I have put in a new OD relay. I am going to do a fluid change soon.

Changed fluid twice, it was dirty but not terrible. Filter was not bad. Car drives fine in first and reverse, it just doesn't shift at all until warm.
So look at the governor is the next move, correct?

I hate to say it, however, it is probably leaking internally. The problem usually gets worse until the trans actually stops working once it gets too warm.

Back