• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Beige Bounce Back - Vol242vo's 242

I'm excited to see your results. You are one of few people I've seen on the forums that might actually pull this off.

I've always liked that manifold.

Thanks man! I?m excited too, I?ll get there, the goal is to make it something that helps set you engine bay off amongst other details but this one should be neat!

Small Victories...another couple of hours and I have the top pretty much ready to polish.

39-FA6-FFF-4-F49-4958-ABF0-699-E40-D0533-E.jpg

Amazing work so far. Curious what product(s) and techniques you are using to clean the doors.

Thank you Alan!

On the doors, to remove all the grime and old stickers I used Simple Green, Goo Gone, Laquer thinner, and soap and hot water. At times WD-40 works well while renewing some of the bare metal items like the door latch and handle mechanism.

Thank you Alan!

On the doors, to remove all the grime and old stickers I used Simple Green, Goo Gone, Laquer thinner, and soap and hot water. At times WD-40 works well while renewing some of the bare metal items like the door latch and handle mechanism.

Awesome...thank you! Mine are pretty gross and wasn't sure the best way to tackle it, particularly the moving parts. Does the WD40 leave enough of a protective coat on those bare pieces? Are you using a white lithium or silicone within the mechanisms themselves? Growing up it was lithium in everything but reading more people favoring the silicone.

Parts were starting to clutter the garage and I’ve been meaning to find a place to ensure the wheels don’t get dinged or damaged. I made a shelf and trimmed it out with old painted wood and mounted 20” sonotube to the rafters for the wheels, everything was free Craigslist ads over the summer too. Pleasing to look at and and everything has a place again!

799-A702-E-AC9-E-442-B-A597-F26-C876-C872-C.jpg

A16-F1-AC4-3-B94-4-A83-8667-925-BDB71052-B.jpg

6-B8712-FB-C99-C-418-A-A16-A-695-ED8-C0-C8-C2.jpg

C2599-E85-6876-4815-AC55-F4211-A36-B375.jpg

A3-AEC12-A-C20-F-414-C-9-EAC-D29-B9481-BEEC.jpg

A71-CF89-C-5-F4-D-4363-9-B7-E-4988-DBA0-EB50.jpg

2-A44-F4-B6-0-DBA-4687-9-DB0-A02-A4-DF1-EEA4.jpg

Last edited:

That B21 intake would look (and work) even better with injector bungs welded in :nod:

Do you still have an old school head with injectors? Hope you will move past Kjet.... I think you would enjoy a MS conversion. It's quite a learning opportunity and LORD knows your 242 will appreciate modern fuel management.

You might recall that I'm running the same intake with a Nathan bung conversion.... sold his fuel rail and bolted on the B234 rail instead.

Following. I too have a 242 that has languished for FAR too long.... hoping to move the needle in 2020.

A lot of quality work in this thread! Nice job man, sweet car.

Hey thanks man! Really hope to hit the ground running next spring. Want some behind the wheel time and not the pretend driving while on jack stand kind...

That B21 intake would look (and work) even better with injector bungs welded in :nod:

Do you still have an old school head with injectors? Hope you will move past Kjet.... I think you would enjoy a MS conversion. It's quite a learning opportunity and LORD knows your 242 will appreciate modern fuel management.

You might recall that I'm running the same intake with a Nathan bung conversion.... sold his fuel rail and bolted on the B234 rail instead.

Following. I too have a 242 that has languished for FAR too long.... hoping to move the needle in 2020.

Agreed on all accounts. It’s funny you mention this because I’ve postponed more work on it with the thought of getting bungs added. I do still have the older head with the obnoxious injectors, I’ve admired your intake and fuel rail setup for awhile!

I will absolutely update to MS or some other more modern fuel management in time. Especially considering the clean up part it’ll play with what I’m trying to accomplish.

Cheers fellas. Merry Christmas.

To that end, I wonder how hard it would be to weld the bungs in a good spot on the bottom of the runners so you can maintain that "tucked" look....

To that end, I wonder how hard it would be to weld the bungs in a good spot on the bottom of the runners so you can maintain that "tucked" look....

Per an Edelbrock tech article, when you retrofit a non-EFI intake with injection, you ideally want the injector pointed right at the back of the intake valve. Sadly, with the 8V head (and factory intakes) there is really no chance at that. The best you can do is to lay the fuel rail right against the intake runners (on any red block intake) and you still can't get line of sight at the valve. I cheated my rail as low as I could, but there is a limit with the fuel rail sitting against the runners.

The thought crossed my mind when you mentioned it earlier, I was curious to hear others opinions on it as far as FR fitment and other possibles obstacles as mentioned by DET17.

Per an Edelbrock tech article, when you retrofit a non-EFI intake with injection, you ideally want the injector pointed right at the back of the intake valve. Sadly, with the 8V head (and factory intakes) there is really no chance at that. The best you can do is to lay the fuel rail right against the intake runners (on any red block intake) and you still can't get line of sight at the valve. I cheated my rail as low as I could, but there is a limit with the fuel rail sitting against the runners.

Good to know!

Had our pre Christmas this morning, my wife and kids got me STS Derlin bushings and parts to make my own torque rods with heim joints.

E3-A69362-4-DD2-4-BD6-BB44-031-D3185-B330.jpg

And some caliper-matchy-matchy emblems for the truck...

DDA0-E34-E-6103-4-BCB-A817-35-F6374021-C7.jpg

C6-A8-D095-06-C5-4634-946-B-B4940-B3-C1639.jpg

Last edited:
Love those torque arms.

Thanks Carl, eager to get them on and clean up the trailing arms and axel too!

Haven?t had much free time to work on the intake manifold, today I put some time into some small imperfections that needed to be smoothed out. At this point I?m just using 320 grit sand paper on an orbit sander and an IR air grinder with very mild sanding pads.

6-B52-E703-A78-D-42-D4-A771-B450-B88-D886-D.jpg

Before

BA033-FB6-1505-4-A6-A-89-E9-9-EF5460-A75-C4.jpg

After

1-AA81-D41-0-B17-4578-9631-9658535546-D1.jpg

Before

F715-AB5-A-2-BB4-4920-880-E-61-A6808-C6-D21.jpg

After

A44-A1158-D280-4-EC2-8271-E1749-C2-B2-CFB.jpg

Back