• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Turbo For A 93 B230FT Engine

I installed my wideband before any turbo upgrade, that way I could see how my car performed stock then I bought a do88 intercooler, then went with a bigger turbo/injectors.

Do you want a racecar or a daily driver.......PS beef up that subframe cause it's next.

I definitely plan on installing my wideband before any turbo tweaking , I just did a bunch of work like new water pump ,timing belt,seals and radiator etc, while I was there i did a CFR ? isuzu intercooler .I'm waiting on the rest of the 3" exhaust and then the AEM wideband will be installed , I want a decent sleeper / mostly daily driver hot rodded 740 . i love the car just with what I have done with it already MBC, L.A.O. chippys ,real cold air { sealed box } ram air and free flow stock exhaust .I cant wait to get that 3' DP and huge intercooler a run. i just thought maybe I could do a decent turbo upgrade , next . I plan on keeping a 740/940 forever , I love these things . all my kids were weaned on Volvo's and My daughter has an 88 740 5 speed car ,that she is wanting me to tweak for her .I really like that she is hard core Volvo as well .

^^

That’s a much better description of where you are. I got lost in your first post. You are definitely ready for a turbo upgrade with all the other modifications you have already made. The question becomes, what power level are you trying to achieve? Keep in mind that the rest of the drive line in your 940 really limits amount of power you can put to the ground.

MHI Turbo designations:

https://speedtrappconsulting.com/image/data/Mitsubishi Turbocharger nomenclature chart.pdf

The big issue you are going to run into is that your 13c is a conically sealed ~2.25" outlet, and in order to run any decent upgraded turbine housing, i.e. upgrading to the 7cm2 HL housings, youre going to need to have a downpipe fabricated pretty much from scratch.

Now, if you wanted to and have access to a welder or know a fabricator and machinist, you can have your manifold milled flat, and get on eBay and grab any T3 flanged turbo you wish and wind up that lil wu-tang war whistle to you liking.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming :poo:

Yah,I believe I laid it all out in my first post... Anyway ,I'm prepared to do what it takes , I realize I can't go over the top ...right now, maybe later . but I was thinking ,maybe turbo upgrade, injectors ,throttle body and AMM are my next purchases . After I hot rod the Hades out of that ,a complete rebuild and start over . I will never not have a 740/940 while Im still breathing, I'm a hardcore hodcarryin Brick lover.I own 2 GTO's and a turbo diesel veggie burnin Benz million miler as well ,but my Volvo gets most of the attention.

I have the throttlebody that you likely want to use. I plan on putting it in one of the for sale ads that I have on here. It’s off a 960. P.m. me if you’re interested in it.

Day-UMM thats a plethora of good information ,but i will be the first to admit ,it will take me a while to absorb it .I respect the heck right out of you guys that are eons ahead of where I'm at with all this info ,no doubt ! Honestly ,at this time and space in life I just need to concentrate /focus my energy elswhere , and try to get by the best I can with a good setup without too many mods, until I can learn ALOT more ...Thanxz for the info ,it is surely appreciated .

Toomany ...yep ,yep I'm interested , perhaps you can gather up any other tidbits and let me know what else you think I may want need and i will see about getting them .Thanxz Ben

Chill grasshopper. The way you come across here you aren't going to last long. This place is a wealth of knowledge and experience. Nobody reported you. That was a joke. It's an old joke on here. You are too new to know you were played. Call it a hazing if you like. If you attempt to act with some humility, as you suggested others do, you will find that these guys and gals on here will actually help you. What they won't do is spoon feed you. Therefore, all the comments about doing some research, then, ask questions to clarify your path. Pro tip, you don't just bolt on a bigger turbo and go, go, go. That's what these guys are trying to tell you. Especially dodson. It is a whole slew of changes that work together to maximize the bang for your buck. The turbo you already have on there has more potential that the rest of intake and exhaust tract does right now.

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

So I have a new TD04H-13c ? stainless downpipe , and I'm going to do the 15G or 16T turbo upgrade , from the research I have read there are 3 hotside options as far as purchase of hotside pieces , 1.] the conical style from early 850's ,which would make my swap easy and match my existing Stainless D.pipe,but is less efficient 2.] the flat/straight flange which was on later 850's / which is more efficient ? or 3.] the flat /angled hotside housing which is from the V70 ? which is a true? 3" or as close to ,and the most efficient ? This leads to my dillema , since the early conical hotside housings are less efficient ,and harder to find for the 15G upgrade setup ,I should bite the bullet and modify my new Classic Swede pretty pipe to accomodate a flat flange .Dillema # 2, will either the FLAT/straight ,and the FLAT/angled flanged hotside housing replacements work on my 1991 B230FT 745 ? and does anyone know of a company selling a pre existing flange to downpipe transition pieces, or should I just plan on fabricating a flat flange W/ a short 3" stubby and transition weld/clamp to my pretty pipe ? AND/OR last but not least does anyone have any of the pieces /or suggestions they want to SELL for my 15G /16T swap like housings ,turbo, etc etc Thanxz to all sincerely Ben

This escalated quickly...

However in all seriousness, from what I’ve read the 19t is good for 300hp. Does anyone know where we can find the air flow maps for both the 13c and the 19t??

Last edited:
Back