• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT conversion, what do I all need

fred.malmberg

I'm tempted to buy a B230FT for my 81 245 that currently has B21A with BW55

For the transmission I already have a M46 with all other stuff for conversion ready to go.

But what all parts do I need for a B230FT conversion - I'm trying to see how complete the set of parts is I'm looking at this weekend is.

You realise your B21A uses a carburettor and a B230FT is fuel injected?

It's a much bigger job than you think. Are you up for it? Or are you interested in getting a car that already has a B230FT?

I just did this on my 84 242 last year and it was pretty easy but the route I went was expensive for most of tbricks budget.

A harness from Mr Barton will make it easier.
While your at it why not add wasted spark?
Some chips and updated injectors?

Depending on budget this seems like a good opportunity for MS or equivalent. Since you are sourcing everything anyways it may not be that much more than utilizing old stock stuff, especially since you may want to consider a new harness. Aside from the obvious tuning flexibility it affords you the ability to get creative and route things how you see fit.

Either do the aftermarket EMS stuff, or I would do LH 2.2, but run the EZK ignition. You'll need a harness for a 1985-88 240, modified for the low impedance injectors (ballast resistor pack added to harness) and the EZK conversion harness, ideally, everything from Dave. Main fuel pump from a 700/900 turbo car, fuel lines from an LH-Jet 240, sender from the same, modified for the 700/900 turbo prepump, etc. On the B230FT, you'll want to swap the intermediate shaft from the B21A into the B230FT block. Distributor needed would be one from, again, a 1985-88 240. One version looks like a modified K-Jet distributor, without a vacuum advance. That one has the same size rotor shaft that your 242's B23E's distributor has. The other one is squat, with a groove cut into the side of it. That one has a smaller rotor shaft, so you'll need to stock two different rotors. At least, it uses the same cap and wires. Coil will need to be changed out for the one from the donor 700/900 turbo car.

If you have AC in the car and plan to resurrect the system, you'll need to update to the B230 rotary compressor and its lines, etc. The crank pulley doesn't use shims like the B21/23 setup.

700/900 B230 engines in most cases do not have the distributor drive gear on the intermediate shaft. Only the oil pump drive gear. The 1993-95 940 regina fuel system B230F engines, however, do. They're basically left over 240 series engines, but with the 940 accessory brackets, throttle spool, and the regina fuel system components swapped in place of the 240 series parts.

Back