• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Removing 940 e-fan to install 740 mechanical fan-asking for friend

My "friend" wants to remove 940 turbo efan (non egr)LH2.4 and install mechanical fan with tropical fan clutch.

Is there anything to look out for as far as disconnecting the fan & relay? Or do we just unhook the wires pertaining to the efan and leave the relay unit?

Dont want to disable the front ac fan or want lh to act up.

And to pre answer the "why". Rush hour summer global warming traffic us brutal. It's not even summet and the car runs on the hot side right before boiling, just the way it's designed to be.

It doesn't overheat, but I can see that happening with the AC on on a 110degree day in stop n go freeway.

Bonus question: where can i find thermostat
273459/82: 82C?

I can get 87* ones for days.

When I did it I also swapped to the earlier style smaller radiator and fan shroud. Will that letric fan shroud work with the mechanical fan? That is what I'd worry about. Also maybe change to the smaller water pump pulley if you got the bigger one. Smaller will circulate the water faster or more.

I wouldn't bother with the thermostat unless it's bad..

Are you sure the radiator isn't partially clogged?

Guess what else I did? I ditched the AC stuff.. Ahh well I don't live in Utopia so I can sweat it out I guess.

I also swapped to the narrower mechanical fan shroud, left the other 15cm uncovered. The electric fan shroud will not work, it's too short and doesn't reach the fan. Cooling was fine before and after, but engine bay temps are greatly reduced since, specially sitting in traffic after a fast drive.

And "whooosh" sounds after starting like a lorry. :)

When I did it I also swapped to the earlier style smaller radiator and fan shroud. Will that letric fan shroud work with the mechanical fan? That is what I'd worry about. Also maybe change to the smaller water pump pulley if you got the bigger one. Smaller will circulate the water faster or more.

I wouldn't bother with the thermostat unless it's bad..

Are you sure the radiator isn't partially clogged?

Guess what else I did? I ditched the AC stuff.. Ahh well I don't live in Utopia so I can sweat it out I guess.

Interesting angle on the pulley? Would it even matter if the rad isn't getting enough air?

I also swapped to the narrower mechanical fan shroud, left the other 15cm uncovered. The electric fan shroud will not work, it's too short and doesn't reach the fan. Cooling was fine before and after, but engine bay temps are greatly reduced since, specially sitting in traffic after a fast drive.

And "whooosh" sounds after starting like a lorry. :)

What did you do as far as wiring goes? Did you leave the fan relay?

My "friend" wants to remove 940 turbo efan

iu

And to pre answer the "why". Rush hour summer global warming traffic us brutal. It's not even summet and the car runs on the hot side right before boiling, just the way it's designed to be.

It doesn't overheat, but I can see that happening with the AC on on a 110degree day in stop n go freeway.

Do they live in AZ? Here in the AZ Summers I have had Zero issues with my n/a and turbo 1993+ 940's with the stock E-Fan in traffic with the a/c blasting on 110-120deg days.

Maybe the rest of the system isn't up to spec? Rad new? They do know that Clutch fans fail also . . .

I have I think a 180 deg temp thermostat from RockAuto in my car.

Personally I think the person might be overly parinod. But to stay on topic, If you just remove the Efan and add a shround with the Clutch fan.

The problem with removing the Efan is that you are now also removing the a/c fan(as cars with the Efan did not have a/c pusher fans) so you will have to add back in an early model pusher fan or an aftermarket unit and set it to come on with the compressor. I did this on my 1995 945T to help A/C temps when at low speeds and now when it is 110+ out I can maintain 45deg outlet temps of the vents with my 300k mile A/C compressor.

Do they live in AZ? Here in the AZ Summers I have had Zero issues with my n/a and turbo 1993+ 940's with the stock E-Fan in traffic with the a/c blasting on 110-120deg days.

Maybe the rest of the system isn't up to spec? Rad new? They do know that Clutch fans fail also . . .

I have I think a 180 deg temp thermostat from RockAuto in my car.

Personally I think the person might be overly parinod. But to stay on topic, If you just remove the Efan and add a shround with the Clutch fan.

The problem with removing the Efan is that you are now also removing the a/c fan(as cars with the Efan did not have a/c pusher fans) so you will have to add back in an early model pusher fan or an aftermarket unit and set it to come on with the compressor. I did this on my 1995 945T to help A/C temps when at low speeds and now when it is 110+ out I can maintain 45deg outlet temps of the vents with my 300k mile A/C compressor.

Even though az might be hotter, the traffic isnt as heavy. Its not 45 minutes to move 10 miles on an everyday basis.

Also on the pusher, wouldn't the woosh from the tropical fan clutch make it to cool the condenser? They pretty much engage when idling.

Ive got a few known good 240 a/c pusher fans that could possibly work

Will look on rockauto for the thermostat

Even though az might be hotter, the traffic isnt as heavy. Its not 45 minutes to move 10 miles on an everyday basis.

Also on the pusher, wouldn't the woosh from the tropical fan clutch make it to cool the condenser? They pretty much engage when idling.

You might be surprised what kind of traffic AZ can get, plus that extra 10degrees we get here is just horrible. And being from LA myself I know all about LA traffic...so glad I left.

At idle and low speeds the clutch fan is no where near enough air flow to properly cool the condenser. I will try to get some pics of what I did on my 945 with the added pusher fan.

If the owner just added the pusher fan on top of the stock efan and wired that to come on with the A/C and or another temp switch they should be more than happy with the results.

Is the car na or turbo? If N/A swap it to the turbo Rad and get an extra 10-20% capacity.

rps20190528_124629_798.jpg

Last edited:
You might be surprised what kind of traffic AZ can get, plus that extra 10degrees we get here is just horrible. And being from LA myself I know all about LA traffic...so glad I left.

At idle and low speeds the clutch fan is no where near enough air flow to properly cool the condenser. I will try to get some pics of what I did on my 945 with the added pusher fan.

If the owner just added the pusher fan on top of the stock efan and wired that to come on with the A/C and or another temp switch they should be more than happy with the results.

Is the car na or turbo? If N/A swap it to the turbo Rad and get an extra 10-20% capacity.

turbo.

Aux trans cooler that sits in front of condenser
& Water cooled oil cooler.

Keep in mind my" friend" also plans on taking me & towing his jetskis from time to time.

turbo.

Aux trans cooler that sits in front of condenser
& Water cooled oil cooler.

Keep in mind my" friend" also plans on taking me & towing his jetskis from time to time.

Just to be sure I am not missing anything this is a 93+ turbo car with the already huge rad vs the older models?

Just to be sure I am not missing anything this is a 93+ turbo car with the already huge rad vs the older models?

Yes, 1993 945 turbo. It's got all the good stuff, except that its a 945

Last edited:
How old is the rad? Is the fluid nice and clean or is there any rust in the system? Typically the plastic/aluminum rads fail from heat cycles before they get clogged with buildup.

Rad looks good. Fluid clean.

I see your pics of the pusher fan.

My "friend" wants to remove 940 turbo efan (non egr)LH2.4 and install mechanical fan with tropical fan clutch.

Is there anything to look out for as far as disconnecting the fan & relay? Or do we just unhook the wires pertaining to the efan and leave the relay unit?

Dont want to disable the front ac fan or want lh to act up.

Bonus question: where can i find thermostat
273459/82: 82C?

I can get 87* ones for days.

Does the 940 have a pusher fan AND the electric puller? I have never seen that, usually mechanical + pusher, or just primary electric puller.

Anyway, efan volvos rum hot af. But with ac on, condenser pressures rise and should kick on the efan, which should absolutely keep it cool.

I added a dedicated switch to control the efan so it doesn?t cook the engine. But you can just unplug the relay connectors and install mechanical fan and it will be fine. LH probably won?t know or care AFAIK.

The pusher fans help quite a bit when ac pressures sky rocket at idle. It’s a simple pressure switch on all 2/7/9 cars. The 2s have them inline I think, and the 7/9 cars I’ve seen all have them built into the condenser itself.

Note the 3 threaded portions bottom left. Not entirely sure what ALL of them do, but 1 of them is for sure the control of the electric puller fan on Regina cars. I’d imagine LH is the same. So it would be very simple to use the original relay and wiring to control a pusher fan that you add.

open-uri20140226-13178-oo5nk6.

So sell the 940 efan for $14.99 shipped, install clutch fan and shroud, add a pusher that’s wired in to come on via that pressure switch. One and done.

Does the 940 have a pusher fan AND the electric puller? I have never seen that, usually mechanical + pusher, or just primary electric puller.

Anyway, efan volvos rum hot af. But with ac on, condenser pressures rise and should kick on the efan, which should absolutely keep it cool.

I added a dedicated switch to control the efan so it doesn?t cook the engine. But you can just unplug the relay connectors and install mechanical fan and it will be fine. LH probably won?t know or care AFAIK.

Do you have experience disconnecting the fan?
What do you mean by dedicated switxh? Does it turn on when the ac comes on?

How does this affect the amp draw to the battery?

Do you have experience disconnecting the fan?
What do you mean by dedicated switxh? Does it turn on when the ac comes on?

How does this affect the amp draw to the battery?

Yes I do. And I added a dedicated/manual switch in the cabin so I could take control of fan speeds in traffic since volvo thinks 230F+ is cool. I disagree. So I’d flip it on in stop and go traffic. Does not effect amp draw to battery any differently than when the computer or temp switch kicks it on.

And my dedicated switch had nothing to do with ac at all. The fan comes on, when ac is on, if and only if pressures rise above x psi. It’s a fairly low pressure though which is good, because that means the fan will come on long before coolant temps are too hot. But remember, this is only if the ac is on. With AC off, Regina commands fan HIGH speed on at roughly 230F via a temperature switch in the upper passenger side of the radiator (the one that loves to pop out). LH2.4 commands on the fan via the engine coolant temperature sensor IIRC. Not sure if it’s high or low speed, or at what temp, but I’d imagine it’s roughly the same as the Regina cars.

On Regina cars, the low speed is the only speed that is chosen when ac pressures rise.

So again on Regina, low speed is controlled by ac pressures ONLY. And high speed is controlled by coolant temp via temp switch in radiator ONLY.

LH I’m not 100% sure but I am almost positive that it’s the same, only differing portion being that it’s the LH computer that commands on the fan via ECT sensor in the head rather than temp switch in the rad. Both are a bit toasty.

So in conclusion, your "friends" LH car will be totally fine with a clutch fan. Launch the 940 fan in your neighbors yard, install pusher fan that is controlled by the ac condenser temp switch. If you’re handy whatsoever with wiring, it will be a breeze. You can use existing relay and wiring, or add your own simple 4 post relay.

Back