• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MS E85 Cold start settings?

thelostartof

unbalanced chemical
300+ Club
Anyone mind sharing thier E85 maps for cranking and starting? I do not remember having these kind of issues last year in the cold but for some reason it seems like this year in sub 50deg temps I am having a lot of issues starting the car.

I know different injector sizes and what not I am just looking for a few idea's to go from there.

I'll have to look on the gold car, but it may not be apples to apples since it's got firehoses for injectors

I never drove the wagon much in cold weather (which accompanies salt on the roads here), but I would usually switch over to gasoline during the winter months. Because it was a real PITA to start otherwise.

No help, just commiseration.

I'm not sure if it's an issue of finding the right settings as much as it is that ethanol just doesn't want to evaporate in cold weather. Not much of a way to tune around that fact.

Are you running flex fuel? My first E85 setup was switched fuel - using the nitrous trigger to swap fuel/spark/boost maps from gas to E85 - with no blending, no flex fuel sensor. That was worse because it didn't alter the cranking and warmup settings. The flex fuel setup works better with separate settings for that (as well as the fuel/spark/boost tables) that are interpolated using a curve and the flex sensor readings.

I have 1600s going in next week so it might not be to far off. I am currently at 113% DC on the 1000cc.

My LH car starts fine on 700cc injectors on the same fuel. And last year this car had no issues on this fuel.

It always takes a few more cranks. I never had problems with E85 cold starts even with snow on the ground. I sent you that E85 fuel bin I was using with a lot more fuel years ago.

snowy5.jpg

So i bumped the cranking fuel pulse rate from alternating events to every event, and then almost doubled the PW for sub 70deg priming pulse and it seemed to start and idle a lot better. It still needs a lot of fine tuning to smooth out the cold start idle but it did work better.

I will do a little more tweaking tomorrow Am and get a SS or two.

Back