• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 owners with leak free trunks...

BGoins12

Can someone with a leak free trunk on their 740 go take a quick pic of their trunk seal? I think mine was installed wrong either from the factory or even by someone installing a new one. My trunk leaks along the back side where the back window is, and I found that it's leaking via the seal. It's driving me nuts because I have all my parts in the trunk, as well as my tools.

Thanks!

Sorry but I seriously doubt that the seal has anything to do with a leaky trunk. I know, I have read posts to that effect but in my opinion it's the lights themselves or the seal itself, the one between the body and the light fixture. I am right now working on that same issue with a '89 760 and a '91 740 and the conclusion so far is that it is not trunk seal related.

I think he's saying that he's getting water further back in the trunk...not coming in along the tail lights. It's very possible to have a leaky trunk seal. These cars are pretty old now.

Does this 740 have a power antenna mounted on top of either 1/4 panel?

Is it a sunroof car?

I found the source of the leak. The lip for the seal bent in 2 spots, both on the lip closest to the back window. Bent it back properly and now it's leak free.

It does have a sunroof and a power antenna, but no leaks there.

Alot of times the seal is fine and the drainage gutters are just clogged. The seal doesnt have to work very hard to keep water out if the the gutters are doing their job.

I found the source of the leak. The lip for the seal bent in 2 spots, both on the lip closest to the back window. Bent it back properly and now it's leak free.

It does have a sunroof and a power antenna, but no leaks there.

OK cool. I found my 240s power antenna o ring seal was badly aged, and allowing a little water in. Have also found drain pipe in trunk for sunroof, had come off the nipple going through trunk floor, occasionally

I have made sure all of the gutters are free of debris and air/water can easily pass through them. I have also ripped out the old tail light seals and replaced with a thicker weatherstripping. I have minimized the leak tenfold, but still have some leaks coming from above the tail lights. I think it is actually coming from the trunk seal itself but I cannot be sure. The seal is old and appears to maybe be swollen.

I am having trouble finding a new trunk seal for a 1990 744. Any leads?

I had the same thing going on and found the body panel glue just above both lights had dried out and water was seeping inbetween the body panels into the trunk. Quick, screwdriver to scrape off the old and some new body panel glue to the rescue. Now it's nice and dry!

Here's where I found mine both above and below the taillights.

Left
TOK6iUdl.jpg

Right
1NcCDGyl.jpg

CRyCpjil.jpg

1096aqIl.jpg

You gotta get out the body panel glue and squish it in good.

6K1uWtLl.jpg

bgqA3iVl.jpg

Now I once again have a nice and dry trunk.

I had the same thing going on and found the body panel glue just above both lights had dried out and water was seeping inbetween the body panels into the trunk. Quick, screwdriver to scrape off the old and some new body panel glue to the rescue. Now it's nice and dry!

Here's where I found mine both above and below the taillights.

Left
TOK6iUdl.jpg

Right
1NcCDGyl.jpg

CRyCpjil.jpg

1096aqIl.jpg

You gotta get out the body panel glue and squish it in good.

6K1uWtLl.jpg

bgqA3iVl.jpg

Now I once again have a nice and dry trunk.

Found this thread. It helped a lot. I had some similar leaks on my 740. The tail light leaks seem to be fixed thanks to some sealant but I?m still having some issues with the trunk lid/gasket. I replaced my old one with a good used one and still have water getting in at the top of the trunk...closest to the rear window. I?m fairly certain the trunk sits higher on the passenger side and this is not making proper contact with the gasket/seal. I think I have to remove the rear seat to get to some adjustment nuts/bolts to lower the trunk a bit. Wondering if you had any leaks from the top of the trunk as well.

Excuse my spelling and grammar. On my phone.

Thanks.

I need to have a crack at this myself. Leaks for me are (at least) above both lights and in a couple of places the lip under the seal has rusted so any standing water from parking flat or downhill comes in easily that way. With the lip repaired flat would be okay but downhill still preferred to get drier faster.

Power antenna came out ages ago and has a rubber body hole bung.

Back