• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 940 AC low suction line issues question

ktm450

Hello,
I am having trouble getting the correct AC low side suction hose/line, for my 1993 940 Turbo. I ordered one online and it was incorrect, wound up breaking the frail/fragile top thread on the compressor and having to change the compressor. Now, I have been sold another incorrect hose/line.
Does anyone have a part# for the correct after market part? After getting the wrong part twice, I am thinking there is some interchangeability/cross reference problem.Thanks.

ktm450

coldhose.com will make you a custom one, you supply rubber length, fitting type, clocking, and it arrives at your door. Local AC shop can probably do the same, you can even order the hose and fittings and have a local do the crimps, or buy a crimping tool and DIY. Which is alot for 1 hose, but still, think of the future!

This is the diagram from a 93 940 Turbo from www.volvopartswebstore.com
Which exact hose do you need from below diagram?

GR-67385.jpg

As close as I can tell from the picture, it is #6 with the dotted line going to the correct line. Thanks.

P.S. Austria? You know KTM? Erzberg? I went to Erzberg!

KTM450

Seems to be you're looking for p/n 3537902 (no. 16 on diagram - no. 6 is a clamp / bracket)?
fullsize_41898.jpg

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-a-c-refrigerant-suction-hose-3537902
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/18627/238345-a-c-refrigerant-suction-hose-genuine-volvo-3537902

P.S. Austria? You know KTM? Erzberg? I went to Erzberg!

KTM450

And yes, of course I know KTM, their factory is not far away from where I live, like 100km.
Fun story, they were involved in a tax scandal pretty recently that made nationwide turmoil because they received millions of Euros in government culture funding for their new museum, while a lot of small businesses didn't get a cent.

Anyway, yes I've been to Erzberg and drive by there sometimes, but I haven't been to the rodeo. I'm not too big of a motorcycle guy but it's an awesome thing indeed.

# 6 looks like the dryer bracket. OP, if you need item 16, I may have it. There are 2 distinctly different versions. It is a mid 93 change. In order to get the correct line you need to state which type of compressor you have. The one in the diagram is the 92 to mid 93 version. The later 93-95 compressor has the input/output fittings in a V configuration vs the parallel configuration shown in the diagram. The 92 early 93 version also uses threaded connections for the lines going to the condenser. Late 93-95 systems use a slip fitting on the lines and they are retained by an aluminum slotted block. Item 40a in the above diagram. That diagram is confusing to anyone not familiar with these systems because it shows the threaded connections and the retainer block. This diagram tries to show two very different systems all in one diagram. Typical of Volvo. Terrible documentation of what they built.

There is a early 740 hose from dryer to compressor, and it takes different route. Check rock auto.

Also, if I may, I have problems to find #31 tube. I'm looking for that block 40a style fittings. Volvo part number 6841201, but it is NLA everywhere. My condenser is shot, so is there a way to use other components?

Hello,
I am having trouble getting the correct AC low side suction hose/line, for my 1993 940 Turbo. I ordered one online and it was incorrect, wound up breaking the frail/fragile top thread on the compressor and having to change the compressor. Now, I have been sold another incorrect hose/line.
Does anyone have a part# for the correct after market part? After getting the wrong part twice, I am thinking there is some interchangeability/cross reference problem.Thanks.

ktm450

MAN, do I ever know this nightmare! BTDT, ended up putting 3 each of the CHINA replacement suction hoses in the north GA landfill.

Contact VOLUPARTS in ATL. They gave me a perfect recommendation for an earlier 7 series hose which runs UP along the firewall and then drops down under the intake to land on the suction port of your compressor. I have pics showing the hose in my DD build thread. So long as you don't have firewall obstructions, it works perfectly. Don't recall the PN, but it was from a mid 80's 760 or similar model. Price is right to boot..... they claim they've sold MANY of these hoses exactly due to the issue you mentioned. Good luck!

MAN, do I ever know this nightmare! BTDT, ended up putting 3 each of the CHINA replacement suction hoses in the north GA landfill.

Contact VOLUPARTS in ATL. They gave me a perfect recommendation for an earlier 7 series hose which runs UP along the firewall and then drops down under the intake to land on the suction port of your compressor. I have pics showing the hose in my DD build thread. So long as you don't have firewall obstructions, it works perfectly. Don't recall the PN, but it was from a mid 80's 760 or similar model. Price is right to boot..... they claim they've sold MANY of these hoses exactly due to the issue you mentioned. Good luck!

Now that is something I needed to come across. Thank you!

The post detailing this in DET17's excellent build thread. I recommend reading through the entire thing, but if you're strapped for time, this is the post: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=5755459&postcount=356

Last edited:
More 411 on the replacement "back side" hose. Found my receipt :cool:

Volvo PN 1348538

Voluparts.com (salesman I worked with "Bill" .... been there forever)

Listed on receipt as 91-92 7/9 suction side hose

$45 plus Ship & tax

I know the 93-95 compressor is the "rabbit ears" version, should have all been factory R134a. I can't say if the threads are same between the 92 compressor, perhaps? Call Bill..... he knows for certain.

Thanks everyone for the help. Sorry for the delayed response, I've been at work. Anyway, I suspected a possible mid-year change. It has the "V" or rabbit ear compressor, and it is R134A. The compressor end of the hose has a twist to it.

ktm450

Back