• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AQ171 block or B230 squirter for NA build

RSJ245

Hello TB Members, my first post.
Planning an NA 16V B230 high output and would like your guidance for selection of parts.
I have a B230 squirt short block and an entire AQ171 long block with rear thrust/63mm crank. The AQ block is dated 11/87. My plan is to use the stroked crank in the squirt block but it would be nice to increase displacement with a bore increase during this overhaul - have read that the AQ block can safely go up to 99mm bore, not sure if that's also true for the squirt block and not sure that .1 ltr is going to make much different in output. I will be using the 16V head from the AQ motor and maybe the PZ cams if I cant find a better option from the guys in UK. Will also increase CR dependent on what cams are used. Match port and polish the head along with a nice valve job. New rods and pistons at the same time (maybe Yoshi). Planning on DCOE Webbers or maybe the Heritage DCOE throttle bodies that look like Webbers. Expecting to use 93 octane fuel at a min and maybe a 60 shot of N2O.
Any thoughts?
thanks for your time, bob

I wouldn't worry about increasing the bore on these. you wont gain enough to justify having thin cylinder walls.

With the side drafts, compression in the 11:1 range, and a set of decent cams, you will be in the 250hp range using a stock bore size.

If you want to go for bigger bore, have the cylinder thickness checked with an ultrasound. That will tell you how big you can go in bore.

Back