• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fire breathing Volvo 240

90volvo

Should of started this long ago. Started in 2014 with a basic 1990 240 with M47 NA engine. Redid suspension in front and brakes all around.

Next project was AC system. My AC quit, on investigating the dryer bag broke. Filled my whole system with small pellets. I worked on system and got as many as I could out. I bought all new components and filled it with propane. It was successful and was freezing cold in the heat of the day.

Next yr 2015- I installed a V cam and all new plugs and wire etc. Car ran good but I could not pass on 2 lane highways cause of lack of power. I worked on interior some and finally got tired of the uncomfortable seats. So I went to a pick and pull and was determined to find something worth modifying. I found a set of 2012 Lincoln LS seats. Took me a couple of weeks to get them installed. I liked them and could drive long distant without back hurting.

2016- I made up my mind to add turbo to my car. I started gathering parts and makinig changes to the car that would work will with the turbo. In the mean time I bought some Ford multiX wheels and wheel adapters to fit them. They measured 15x6.5 I painted center black. I think multiX wheels look the best on 240's. I also installed a good sound system, which I rarely play anymore. Alpine head unit, new 5 inch door speakers, Sony 6x9 in the rear shelf. While I was there I decided to redo dash and rear shelf.
On the dash I bought a cover that slid over the exsisting dash pad. It was a real pain, had to do some cutting on the origianal pad. The dash cover was from JC Whitney. I would not go this route again. One thing that helped was using pool noodle and cutting them in sections to apply pressure down on the new cover until glue stuff set up. The rear was easy, I ordered a custom fit from ebay. Dropped right in and looked great. The gauges in the dash I bought gauges faces from Dave B. web site. I installed the white faces with Rally emblem on it. They turned out great.

2017- I bought new clutch and p.plate off of ebay. Suppose of been for an early 240 turbo car. It bolted right in my car. The setup never slipped even with turbo on the car. Installled some new rear shocks KYB's got the call. They made a huge difference.

2018- Just drove car and kept it serviced, was still watching ebay and tbricks for my turbo parts. Bought manifold, turbo, ecu and ezk. The turbo was 15g.

2019- Installed +T parts and got the car up and running. Was running stock intercooler which did fine. Car would try and heat up in drive thru's. So I bought a big aluminum universal radiator, think it came from Speedway. Took some figuring out to get it in there but works great and never have to worry about overheating.

I was satisfied with the whole setup but like most of us the faster bug was working on me. I bought 19t conversion kit, NPR intercooler, 440cc injectors, and 3 inch ex. This realy woke car up, would break tires loose pretty easy.But trans started making noises. So, I started searching for AW71 and found a 95 940 donor car with a rebuilt trans. So I converted my car to an auto, was tired of shifting all the time and just had back surgery so the clutch and me wasnt getting along to well. I drove this for a while and was content until the power bug started biting me.

2020- I decided to run E85 and installed 3 inch AMM at the same time. Turned boost up to 20 pounds. Man this thing would run. I also installed 3.73 gear in the rear cause I had the old 3.31's in it. This was a good combo but the AMM was always causing me headaches. Dying at idle alot or barely into the throttle. So, I elected to go Megasquirt, called on kenny for a plug and play setup.
Megasquirt was a big learning curve. Big mistake I made was trying to do it when I had alot going on. I couldnt even get the car started on the base tune. Finally with the help of others, I got a tune where it would start and run. I also failed to say I installed 650cc injectors.

I couldnt figure out why someone couldnt just give me a good base tune. Well cause of some experience, I know now, everybody has different settings. Like required fuel on mine was set at 12.5 before it would run that would probably be way rich on someone elses car. I found a guy to help me with my tune and started to make some good power. Car was pretty fast and fun to drive.

Aug. 15th- was out for nightly drive to test out a new tune. I was sitting at a stop light and had a slight smell of fuel. I had just put some E85 in the tank and though I had gotten some of it on me. I left the light and was easing into the throttle. Then about the time I hit 18lbs boost car made a really bad noise and died. I was coasting but smoke and flames were coming from out from under my hood. Real bad situation, i pulled over to side of road. Remembered I had a fire extinguisher in the trunk and popped hood and put the flames out. ALWAYS CARRY A F. EXTINGUISHER IN YOUR CAR AND IN YOUR SHOP.

I got car home the next day and the engine block had a hole in it. I investigate what caused the fire. It was the small piece of rubber line on the fuel rail, about 4 inches long. No it wasnt the original one, I had replaced it before at least I think I have but then remembered I switch fuel rails somewhere down the line. E85 is known for drying rubber out. So my thoughts are the hose split open, thats why I could smell fuel. The engine leaned out and broke a rod. The raw fuel on engine ignited. Adding pics of the damage soon. Have a plan and I am not done with the car. Leave you wth this ALWAYS CARRY A F. EXTINGUISHER IN YOUR CAR AND IN YOUR SHOP.
/COLOR]

Last edited:
U44P2c7
U44P2c7

New short block that I rebuilt. Left the block standard. Put new bearings-rings- oil pump. The block had 2.5 thousand piston to wall clearance.

Last edited:
Back