• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 waterpump leaking

zombielarry

Finally got my car run after six months.New turbo ,clutch Master cylinder,slave cylinder sold my 240. I get it running smooth,then it starts to leak water out the top of the waterpump.and it looks like someway from the pulley it's a pin size hole.is the pump toast or should I seal it?

The hole you see is a seep hole that indicates when the water pump is going bad. Mine did what yours is doing, so I replaced it. A few words a advice: The top seal that goes to the head is a son of a b***h to get on without tearing. Be careful with that. Mine wasn't really on all that great until I did my head gasket. Secondly, the stupid O-ring that comes in the kit for the water pipe might not be long enough. I had to put two o-rings in to make it work, with one, it seemed to work, but under pressure it would spew coolant. Lastly comes the heater pipe it self; make sure the end going into the pump isn't all eaten away. Mine was so far gone that I had to buy a new one, and was very surprised it wasn't leaking before I took it off!

Good luck, Nick.

I was thinking it was the weep hole I was hoping I could seal it. The pump only has about 2 or 3 thousand on it so that sucks. It sat for 7 months so I wonder if that had something to do with it

I get it running smooth,then it starts to leak water out the top of the waterpump.and it looks like someway from the pulley it's a pin size hole.
The weep hole mentioned is a lot bigger than "pin size", and is normally on the bottom. If it's getting wet on top, I'd say either the pump-to-block gasket is leaking and it's oozing over the top (or even through the hole the upper bolt is in) and collecting on top of the pump, or the rubber "mushroom" seal on top has lost its rubberiness and needs to be replaced. I did mine a few weeks back, as I too was getting little pools on top of the pump, between the ribs.

Top of pump:

wp-708_3.jpg

Bottom of pump (with weep hole):

wp-708_1.jpg

Replace pump, seals for bearings are bad and bearings will go next, they dont like being lubricated by antifreeze

The weep hole mentioned is a lot bigger than "pin size", and is normally on the bottom. If it's getting wet on top, I'd say either the pump-to-block gasket is leaking and it's oozing over the top (or even through the hole the upper bolt is in) and collecting on top of the pump, or the rubber "mushroom" seal on top has lost its rubberiness and needs to be replaced. I did mine a few weeks back, as I too was getting little pools on top of the pump, between the ribs.

Top of pump:

wp-708_3.jpg

Bottom of pump (with weep hole):

wp-708_1.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dont buy Oreilly/Kragen/Checkers $30 lifetime warranty water pumps. I gave one a shot and I have had it start leaking on me about 3 times now in under a year. Now I have damaged my engine slightly from overheats. ****.

The one I have now is o'reillys pump that's why it's leaking. I really don't want to buy from Volvo its to much, any good alternatives?

Yeah I told you I went thru three of them. I also stabbed a hole in my $200 radiator pulling the crappy oreilly pump warranty swap for the 4th time. I have paid dearly for my being cheap the last time. So instead of buying a $75 hepu I was in a bind and used poor judgement and bought the $30 orielly pump and now I have a leaking freeze plug from an overheat and a damaged radiator from me pulling the pump off too hard because the hole was so big for the water pipe it wouldn't seal and I had to glue the pipe in with RTV. then it pulled off hard and I destroyed my radiator and had to buy another $100 rad. fhahfadsl;hfladsj...rant over!

I ordered a Hepu thru our commercial worldpac account. Hepu seems to be the one people have a boner for right now so I am gonna go that route this time.

My oreilly rear shocks failed twice each time within a week. I think I am done with them. Their stuff seems to really suck for Volvo. I have also had problems with low quality parts on other cars too. We try to only use them for stuff like oil filters now.

Back