• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

West Coast "Road Kill" style run...

Still researching the legal side of things. Insurance will be easy, so I have that covered. Looking into what it would take to get temp tags. That's a big part of why I'm posting on tbricks. Hoping someone is trying to move a car north to south or vice versa that isn't in a big rush. That would be alot easier then trying to ofload one. Worst case scenario I have friends in Seattle and LA I could leave the car with until it sells.

Fuel mileage... Ouch haha.
Hoping to go north to south or vice versa, but I appreciate the offer!!! We do plan to pass through Monterey during the trip though.

Update: Anyone from Washington or Oregon know the temp tag laws? I know car dealerships will often give you a 30 day temp tag. Can a private seller do this as well?

If so I'm thinking I pre-buy and pre-sell the car. Get it all setup and have the seller bring it to the airport to complete the sale. That way everything is streamlined.

Edit: This would be perfect!!
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6000766284.html

Last edited:
Oregon is not too big on trip permits as we are known as the tree hugger state. I'm not sure how it works though if your license is from out of state. If you pre-purchase would it be better to get a trip permit from your state before you board the plane?

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/fees/vehicle.aspx#trippermits

Buy a Trip Permit

You can buy trip permits at your local DMV office or by mail. You can also buy Heavy Motor Vehicle, Heavy Trailer, and Registration Weight trip permits at most Motor Carrier Transportation Division (MCTD) registration offices.
To apply for a trip permit, provide:
Your name and address;
Your driver license or ID card number and the state which issued it;*
The year, make, and model of the vehicle;
The vehicle identification number (VIN);
If Oregon DMV has no record of the vehicle, provide a copy of your insurance card or policy, registration card, sales contract, or a pencil tracing of the VIN.
Insurance company name and policy number (for motor vehicles only);
Any additional requirements listed in the section for the type of trip permit you are applying for; and
Trip permit fee:
By mail: Check or money order to "DMV."
DMV office: Pay by cash, credit or debit card, or check or money order made out to “DMV”.*
Out-of-State Trip Permit

You can drive in Oregon using your valid trip permit from another state. You must keep proof of insurance in the vehicle.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5995435182.html

I saw this one on the highway the other day. Looks like DD status.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6000413385.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5991421605.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6001274557.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5967114104.html

I live in Kitsap (on the Olympic Peninsula). 101 actually starts in Olympia, goes north up to Port Angeles (the highest point on 101) and then heads south from there. Stop by Ocean Shores along the way (on the Pacific Coast) and then continue south all they way to LA where it merges with I5. If you follow I5 all the way to TJ, you will have driven the 101 from its most northern point to the most southern point. Stays pretty much in sight of the coast the whole way till you get to LA (go figure). Pretty epic drive.

Wow, if that has A/C (can't tell from pic) it would be ideal!! Might have to ask.

Also I was thinking the same thing about easy to find parts. Old stuff is probably out of the running.

So in my home state of Maryland you have to have the signed title in hand to obtain temporary tags. $20 and They last 30 days.

It looks like a Washington trip permit is available for $30. However it is only valid for three days.

An Oregon trip permit is also $30 but it is valid for 21 days.

In all it sound like a major pita.

Sadly this may turn into a rental trip. :(
Best case is a transport trip, spread the word!!

Last edited:
I think September on the Volvo, this year or next, I transferred the plates from a different car when I got it. Longer on the Explorer.

So maybe you can help clarify this whole tags thing. If the were to buy your car the gas would transfer to me?

Well, there are a few ways it can go.

If I leave the plates on the car, the car is still registered for however long the tags are good for, DMV already has their money. I didn't realize until recently that Oregon allows plates to be transferred, so all these years I should have been keeping my plates and the registration I already paid for to transfer to my next vehicle. The plates on the V70 were actually transferred from my '71 Opel Kadett that hadn't run in years (but had current registration). I just got that car running to prep for the 24 Hours of LeMons Rally so I'm going to need plates for it again, ooops...

Also, keeping the plates from the car forces the next person to take care of the title. I sold an '86 Volvo 740 Turbo that was rear ended a year after I sold it and it was still in my name, that wouldn't have happened if I would have kept the plates. If you're taking a car of mine and you intend to dispose of it after the trip, I would be inclined to keep the plates.

Oregon does a 21 day trip permit. You don't need to own the car, they just want the VIN number, sometimes they ask for proof of insurance, and of course your money. You can only have two trip permits on a vehicle within a year (calendar or 12 months, I'm not sure). If you got an Oregon trip permit and had insurance, you'd probably be just fine.

What dates are you thinking? Both my V70XC and the Explorer should be sold.

I really like the V70, but I bought it from a friend as a favor, and I don't actually need it now that my V90/V8 is drivable. It seems perfectly reliable to me, has some thunks and clunks and drips a bit of oil, but nothing too serious. A/C and cruise control work, and the stereo sounds great. 181k miles. In my ownership I have done an ignition system service (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) to solve the poor running problem that it had when I bought it. To address the oil leaks, I have done the turbo drain and PCV service, but it still leaks a bit. I only have snow tires on the stock wheels right now. It will either get new tires on the stock 15" wheels, or I will put new tires on my 17x7.5 wheels that didn't fit on my V90. If you aren't planning on keeping the car, I could buy some used but safe tires for it.

The Explorer has nearly new tires, also working A/C and cruise, bench front seat for total seating of 6. Front suspension has been refreshed, control arms, tie rods, ball joints, etc. Also 180k-ish miles, or was it 160-something?

Neither are perfect, at $2000 nothing is, but they are both perfectly serviceable and I wouldn't expect any problems for a trip like you're describing. That's not a guarantee of course, but I'd drive either of them without hesitation.

Planning for the next of July to Beginning of August. It would def be a buy and sell situation. Just trying to get the cost down on the transportation.

Update, airfair is being purchased. Star in Seattle July 25th, end in LA August 8th.
If the car option falls through maybe I can at least post on the transport thread and try to offset the rental that way. Not as much of a fun experience, but oh well.

Back