• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil return alternative

Sweep

Instead of faffing around tapping the block (which looks to be a PITA) can I just machine a little bung for the original place and then just weld a port onto the sump?

Yes, that works, and if you actually search for it you will find pictures and how-to articles on the subject.

Or install a bulkhead fitting in the pan.

GLEN-539-2T.jpg

Instead of faffing around tapping the block (which looks to be a PITA) can I just machine a little bung for the original place and then just weld a port onto the sump?

If you're going to machine a bung, why not make it the oil return?
There is absolutely no need to tap a thread in the block for a oil return, it is not under pressure.
One of the US vendors makes a press-fit oil return to fit in the standard block, but it is not hard to make your own out of a threaded hose tail with the thread machined off, or even from scratch.
25.15mm is is what I used to make one a very tight press-fit.

Not a bad idea at all chaps! Do Yoshifab ship to UK do we know? I've already had to pay ?15 for import tax this week for something from over your side of the pond!

And yes it's an FT.

3/4 BSP to whatever you want the other end (AN10?), then machine the thread off to 25.15mm in a lathe.

Fit with hammer and Loctite.

No import duty.

I too have been thinking about this topic (oil return to block or pan). I'm a novice, but seems both have their disadvantages. I am considering a crank scraper and if I tap the block I would potentially be dumping oil onto the crank scraper. Going to the pan seems more vulnerable to being hit and letting your oil out. You also have to remove an extra line when dropping the pan

For me, I think I've decided to put it in the pan instead of potentially back on my rotating assembly. Sound advice, I know! ��

Back