• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

injector upgrade

fastcomet

I have 90 Volvo 240 5 speed non turbo. Is there any gain to upgrading to a better injectors? With better spay pattern maybe finer mist. Thanks

If you need to replace injectors, the Bosch yellow composites from an 850 (0 280 155 746) are a direct swap, and obviously are newer technology - none of that old pintle crap.

If you need to replace injectors, the Bosch yellow composites from an 850 (0 280 155 746) are a direct swap, and obviously are newer technology - none of that old pintle crap.

I think the keyword is "need"...it would be silly to spend $100+ on a set of new injectors thinking you'll gain anything that could be measured without a dyno or laboratory.

Is there any gain to upgrading to a better injectors? With better spay pattern maybe finer mist. Thanks

I see the thought process, but I doubt you can "upgrade" to something more modern and expect improvement.

Go with electric fan, exhaust, cam, manual transmission, maybe change the rear gears.

That the port nor the ecu are calibrated for.

They are close enough flow rate.
If by port you mean manifold/intake port there is no meaningful difference, can you articulate on that?
The adaptive will take up any slight deviation in pressure, and if you are comparing to 25year old injector flow pattern, no question it will be better.

Gonna side with Hussein on this one. 2.4 and 3.1 cars tend to run better with the P80-generation narrow body injectors.

Could you provide anything other than anecdotal? The ECU was calibrated for those injectors, and the spray pattern is specced for a round single valve port, not an oval multi port.

I just dont see it making any difference at all. Ive swapped them in because I had a bad injector and there was no difference, other than it running normally again.

No gas mileage improvements, no increased power, nothing. Just a car running like a car.

I would never go out of my way to procure some more modern injectors for the sake of stock to stock.

This is from a guy who has ID1000s on his car, so im obviously not some sort of curmudgeon.

No gas mileage improvements, no increased power, nothing. Just a car running like a car.

Which is reason enough, if there weren't other long term benefits to the more refined spray diffusion/pattern. Reduced cost, improved design. Price out pintle vs. composite. If you're going to change, it makes no sense to stay with old technology. In the 80's-early 90's when I worked at a Volvo dealership we used to sell Techron on every 5K service simply because of the deposits that accumulate with the older design. Volvo used to pay for the walnut service on many LH2.4 cars. You don't think injector design has a bearing on this?

They are close enough flow rate.

There is more than characaterizing an injector than just flow rate. It's quite odd that a "25 year old spray pattern" was in use by a large manufacturer until recently when they switched to direct injection.

But, the large majority on here only care that their car runs and drive. How well doesn't seem to be of much concern. If it's newer, it must be better. Placebo effect of modifying engines.

Back